MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

water leaking but i cant see where it is coming from. Supply

Customer Question

water leaking but i cant see where it is coming from. Supply lines dont appear to be leaking. It is coming from under fridge and i can see water collecting in pan under fan when looking through the back at the bottom. This is the french door model.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 3 years ago.

MASTER-TECH :

About how old is this unit and could I get the serial number too, please?

Customer :

serial number is XXXXX

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ARE YOU THERE?
Yes, my parts link is having trouble loading. I am checking on the type of unit you have. How old is the unit?, Sorry, it was my computer having the trouble. be with you in a bit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i think about 4 years old
Sorry, it was my computer having the trouble. I will be with you in a bit.

Below is a link that shows the bottom part of your unit. Click on it and look at #8. These unit have a history of the drain pan cracking. You will need to, with the unit unplugged add some water to the pan with out overflowing it and see if it leaks out. You may also look at the metal under the pan to see if water has been there for a while. (white and chalky)

Link

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. water does not look whit and chalky, but pan looks spotted, like maybe paint has peeled some. It may time to take pan out and test for leak. Is this what i need to do to check it? Also, what is suppose to happen to the water that collects there? Does it evaporate/

If the water test leaks then we know the pan is bad. It is a pain to remove the pan. Most of the time when the pan is bad it is behind the compressor on the left side where the pan gets thin.

The defrost water does evaporate on its own from the heat produced by the unit.

Let me know how the water test goes.

I am signing off for tonight. I will check back in the morning. Let me know if the pan was the issue and I will get you two ways to repair it. Thank you....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it appears to be a bad pan. How do i fix it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have the new pan and have taken off back cover, but fan housing is blocking me from getting pan out. Help!
You will need two short 2x4s, empty the top section. From the back tip the unit forward and slide the 2x4s in from the side about 14" in from the back. This will give you access to the two 27 torx bolts located under each corner. once they are removed it will allow you to remove the fan assembly. You may have to remove one of the compressor bolts if it is attached to the pan. Use two people to keep tipping of the unit safe!