S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Kenmore Dyer, 70 series (heavy duty, super capacity),

I have a Kenmore Dyer, 70 series (heavy duty, super capacity), about 11 years old. It has never given me a moments problem, until last night when my son decided to try and turn the drum after he removed his clothes. It still runs, turn, heats etc... but there is a loud grinding sound that seems to be coming from under the drum. Any ideas??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 5 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. the first thing you need to check is around the drum in the front and rear, make sure that there is not a coin, zipper piece, etc... stuck between the drum and the shrould. also please get me the model number from inside the dryer door. i am stepping out to pick my daughter up but will return shortly. please reply back with the model and i will reply back asap. thank you.

Customer:

Hi, The model number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN I just tried it again for a moment on air dry and it made a hot burning smell. My husband took the back and top off last night and we looked around for any loose debris, but we can't actually see under the drum.

S.E.Thomas :

with the top in the open position there should be 2 screws just down from the top on the inside holding the front on. remove these and the lower front panel. there is 2 screws just behind it to remove the front as well.

Customer:

OK - how do I unplug the white wire connector thing, because part of the wires on on the front panel.

Customer:

Should it just unplug

Customer:

It's OK I got the front open - it looked like the belt was off it's roller so I've fixed it and am going to clean it out while I'm at it ant then I'll let you know how it goes, but I have to get it back in it's spot and plugged in so give me a bit. Thanks

Customer:

Woohoo - it works. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it was the belt being off the pulley thing. I will accept now.