Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a G.E. undercounter refrigerator M# XXXXX with

I have a G.E. undercounter refrigerator M# XXXXX with an ice maker P# XXXXX
that I bought to replace the original. I have verified that it is the correct part. The problem with the unit is it only harvest a hand full of very small chips in 24 hours. The only difference in the new ice maker is it has an adjustment on it that I do not know what it controls. Does it control the defrost cycle or water level or what??? Can you please give me some tech advise. Charles/frustraded in Florida
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Hi Charles good morning, do you know the temperature in the freezer itself? Do you have a temperature thermostat you could put in there and see what the temperatures are? Also when the icemaker fills can you put your fingers into the icemaker and see how much water is actually in it? It's going to be one of two issues, one the valve is not opening fully and putting enough water into the icemaker in the allotted time for the fill cycle, two the freezer is not cold enough this has to be between 0 and 8° in order to make Ice sufficiently but I'm inclined to believe it's the valve, because you say they are very small chips of ice, so they're not full size cubes correct? This is the icemaker you put in? Let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check both issues you advised me on. Can you tell me what the adjustment

on the ice maker controls because the original did not have it? the spec photo is the

unit I purchased. Thanks Charles

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That little adjustment is for water level but these are always calibrated at the factory, you rarely ever want to touch that, it's very sensitive in the smallest turn can make it overflow, I'm more inclined to think the valve is not opening all the way and not letting enough water through to fill the icemaker, but the other issue is they said only made one batch and 24 hours and that's definitely not good either, that seems to me like the freezer is not cold enough, anyway get back to me when you know how much water is actually going into the icemaker if any at all at this point, it may have put in just that little bit when you first turn it on after replacing the icemaker and maybe the icemaker cycling but no water is coming in at this point you need to stick your finger in to the icemaker to see,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian, I can't find a green except button. Where is it? Thanks Charles

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
It should be there now but I was hoping to get a little more into it, did you get a chance to check anything or do you have to do this later? If you find the temperatures fine then I'm 90% sure the valve will be the issue, I'm going to send you a link to the valve in case you need to order it, the valve part number is, WR57X10058 and here is a link to the valve, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/pa rt-number/GE-Parts/Wine-beverage-cooler-Parts/WR57X10058/0046/363/Model-ZIBS240PASS/0432/0169000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0169000&searchModelNumber=ZIBS240PASS&subCompDesc=Unit%20parts&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR-P-SERIES&blt=11 thanks and if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.