Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Performa refrigerator, while still running, stops cooling

My Performa refrigerator, while still running, stops cooling (both refrigerator and freezer). I had someone to repair once but about six months later it did it again. First it starts making a funny noise then stops cooling. It starts working again after a day or so and after I've done everything from plugging and unplugging it to flipping the breaker, but, of course by then, I've lost everything in my freezer and some in the fridge part. I really don't want to spend another $170 for someone to come back and not fix it. Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks!

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

It's not going to be Freon if this is done this three times and started working again, what kind of noise is it making? Is it a clicking noise about every 3 to 4 min. is it a buzzing noise about every 3 to 4 min.? Does it come from the back of the refrigerator where the compressor is or does it come from the inside of the freezer? Try let me know what I look up your model, also could the model number possibly be PSD262LHEW ? PSO does not come up

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for taking my question. The noise is sort of a buzzing noice, reminds me of an electric saw and it lasts in the beginning a couple minutes, then longer by the next day to probably about 10 minutes or so. It seems to be coming from the back toward the bottom and when it stops it kind of clicks. And yes, you're right about the model number, it is a D - PSD262LHEW.

Thank you

Okay, did the repair man leave you a bill last time and on this bill did he replace the compressor relay assembly? They also call it start device, also can you get me the serial number of this refrigerator? There was a huge recall on these at home and see if yours was under the recall, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The serial number is XXXXX I did get a bill says - "Running on vac on arrival - add refrigerant - test - works o.k." Under parts it has 1 Access Valve and 2 oz R134a refrigerant. So it doesn't look like he replaced the compressor relay assembly. To be honest, he seemed somewhat confused like he couldn't figure out what was wrong. I bought it in 2005 if that makes a difference on the recall. Thanks!

Okay I don't see it on the recall list , do you actually see a tap valve on any of the copper lines in the back of the refrigerator with the compressor is? Did he put tap valve on any of the copper lines coming from the compressor? You will need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and take the cover off the bottom and look for this, this is the compressor should be a silver tap with a cap on it that is used to charge the Freon, to be honest I know what your problem is right now it is the relay I believe when you pullout refrigerator out get the cover off you will the noise coming from the compressor, you will need to replace this, it's $28.35 at the blue link below, if you wish to order it online, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Bryan,

Is this something that I could replace myself? I'll try to find it locally first so I can go ahead and get it done and if not, then I'll order it from the link. I can't thank you enough for your help. You've saved me much money in repair bills and meat!!!

Yes you can replace this yourself, it actually just plugs onto the side of the compressor, you can take a flat head screwdriver and carefully pry off straight off , dont bend the compressor studs that the slides onto, just grab a hold of the relay and use a screwdriver to gently pry it away from the compressor while pulling a with your hand and then there are just two wires plugged into it, just make sure you note which wire goes where on the relay, I think they are red and white, the relay is marked I believe within N for neutral which is the white, just note when you take them off which one they plug into the new one, thanks and well wishes, Bryan