Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Yesterday while running a medium load of clothes in our 3 year

Yesterday while running a medium load of clothes in our 3 year old Bosch washer WFMC1001UC-06, we heard a weird noise and smelled a buring rubber smell. What could it be.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The most likely cause for this is something that jammed into the pump,there is a there is a round cap in the bottom right corner front of the washer, open this And behind it will be the drain pump and trap assembly, unscrew the trap counterclockwise and pull it out and check for obstruction in the pump and trap assembly, it sounds like it may be a lot of water in this machine still so you want to be real careful. Only open the trap little bit at a time and sop up the water until no more is coming out then you can remove it totally, if there's no obstruction in there you may have had the drum lock up and it may have burned the belt in the back, check those things that let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I get back to the clients house, I will get wet vac and open the pump. You think the noise and smell is coming from the pump / pump motor asm?

That's the most likely cause, if the pump stops like something got in there and stopped it likely coin or a hairpin this can happen, that's the first thing I would check you may need to have to you get your trap out get your finger into the pump and see if you can turn the impeller blades, if they don't move there's something in it and it's probably the issue, let me know you find out, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I opened the the front of the pump. Small amount of water came out. No obstruction, Impeller moved freely. The drum rotates smothely, Motor turns when I rotate the drum. I am in the process of running a cycle to see if the problem is still there.
ok, let us know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are the man. Ran a load, ran great. Thanks
That's great to hear, something must the temporarily stopped the pump and maybe when you stuck you finger in and moved the impeller it came loose and is gone now, it doesnt take much. Well wishes and thanks Bryan