Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool duet front loader washing machine. I am

I have a whirlpool duet front loader washing machine. I am getting an error when trying to start a load "dl". I think that is a door lock error....looking at the lock it seems like it is already in locked position with the door open. I can not close the door. How do I unlock the door without running a cycle?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay with you will need to do is remove the bottom access panel under the door, there are three screws real close to the floor you actually have to almost lay down to see them, remove the screws and pull the panel off then you will need to reach out in with the door lock/latch assembly is and pull the little ring on the bottom of the latch assembly, you can see the ring on the right side of the latch assembly in this picture, the ring however is facing down when this is installed machine so it's on the bottom. This will unlock the latch, if it does not unlock the latch is broken and will need to be replaced, you can order this at the blue link below if needed.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Switch-Assembly/1094190?modelNumber=GHW9400PL0 hopefully the door latch unlocks and you will be able to use this one out replacing the latch, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is helping.....but how do you remove the latch in order to replace it, i will be accepting your answer.....
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
The best way to do that is to remove the top of the washer, there are three screws on the back holding that top-down, take those out and lift the top at the back and slide it out from underneath the front control panel, then you can see in get to the latch assembly from the top, remove the screws were you open the door and unplug the latch assembly and replace, that's easiest way to get to it, hope this helps thanks and well wishes, Bryan