Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Estate by Whirlpool Super Capacity washing machine.

Customer Question

I have an Estate by Whirlpool Super Capacity washing machine. It stopped working mid cycle and now it only works on the agitate part of the cycle. It won't drain or spin. When I turn the knob there nothing happens and sometimes it just humms near the knob
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Your lid switch has failed, can you get me the full model number? I will get the information for you, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where is the model number?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If you open the lid and look in the back middle there should be a tag right there with the model number on it,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Can you recheck that model number? It doesn't come up check the first letters TA W doesn't look correct the AW maybe okay but there should be different letters in the beginning or at least one different letter the T doesn't seem the right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah it's definately TAWS
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay after some research I think this is it, I think the 5 is in S this is the closest model I can come up with, TAWS800JQ1 at any rate I think about it now this is the lint switch, these are plastic and they break, there is a post on the lid the goes through a hole in the top of the washer that's with the lid switch is, actually you could do a little test, take a pencil put this in spin and make sure the knobs pulled out on the timer and try pushing the switch down with the pencil see if it starts spinning at all, sometimes this which will break in will be hanging down to far for the post on the lid to hit it, but even if it doesn't start the lid switch is still the problem it's just broke inside, you can order this at the blue link I'm providing, the best way to replace this is to remove the cabinet which is simpler than it sounds, this link will take you to a video that shows you how to do this, once you have the cabinet off you can get the lid switch out and put the new one in because it comes right off with the cabinet so you can display the cabinet down remove the switch and put the new one in, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

link to video.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i took the switch out and just electrical taped it back together. it seperated but thank you so much for your help. now i have to get the knob back together so it's at the right settings hahaha
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, that may last but i dont know how long, and you're very welcome, thanks Bryan