Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Commercial Dryer, and the clothes are coming out

Customer Question

I have a GE Commercial Dryer, and the clothes are coming out tamp after a cycle. I check the exhaust temp, set on High it is 135 degrees, low 120. Also, the lights on the unit come on when the coins are pushed in then go out. Could this be that the cycle isn't going long enough?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get me the model number? This is gas or electric?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not at the Apt Building, so I don't have a model. It is electric.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Will you be able to get us the model number later? I need to look and see what kind of heater this has in it, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be able to get that for you by Monday. How do I hold this question open, until then?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That's fine, just leave the question open don't close it just reply when you get the model number, the question will stay open unless you close it, I will be here Monday and if you send a reply it will come to me automatically, thanks and have a great weekend, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Had A tenant get me the Model # XXXXX Ser # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, what's going on is this has a dual coil heating element in it, one of the coils is fried, it's heating but it's not heating enough, therefore by the time the dryer gets to the end of the cycle the clothes are still damp, one side of this could burnout and the dryer will still partially heat but doesn't get hot enough to drive a clothes, we see this on a regular basis, here is the heating element, you can see the tool coils here is a link to order the element, http://www.marcone.com/members/Part.aspx?e=ljp%2bXfHgQeGK33zLB948uA%3d%3d&t=v5B8GcBqlm%2bVFW2O6gYQyg%3d%3d I would call them rather than order the entire element because there is a restring kit that is a heck of a lot cheaper I believe the part number is XXXXX but I would call them make sure before ordering this because there are different sized restring kits but there's a huge difference in the price in the will and do a little work you can save about hundred and $120.00 if you restring this instead, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. is there a way to visually see that half the coils are not on (not red/hot in color?). Also, I said that the timer/cycle lights only come on when the coins are pushed in, the use to stay on thru out the cycle. Could this have anything to do with the issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. is there a way to visually see that half the coils are not on (not red/hot in color?). Also, I said that the timer/cycle lights only come on when the coins are pushed in, they use to stay on thru out the cycle. Could this have anything to do with the issue?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You may be able to see by leaving the door open all the door button in and start the dryer and look through the back of the drum sometimes you can tell if they're both working sometimes you can't, it should be pretty bright if the both working a little duller if not but it's hard to really tell that way, the timer like coming on but not staying on could be part of the same issue I can't be sure this could just be the bulb possibly going out on it or can also be the the broken heater isn't sending the signal back to the timer so the light goes off I can't be sure about that, if you have a voltmeter you can check the heater also but this requires take the model dryer apart to get at the heater assembly and at that point you will see whether it's broken or not,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks....a little confusing on the pay you screen, my balance is now zero so I assume you got paid, thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes thank you, have a great weekend