Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a ge dbl oven (electric) and It keeps beeping and flashing

Customer Question

I have a ge dbl oven (electric) and It keeps beeping and flashing one of 2 error messages randomly, both when oven is on and off. The messages are f2 and f3. Any idea what these messages are indicating?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The ovens electronic control is sensing and oven overheat condition, there are two different code you are showing so my guess is one of the relays on the oven control is either welded closed or is bad, here are the two meanings of the two codes.

F2Oven over temp - exceeded 590F with door in unlocked position or 990F with door lockedIf actual temp condition occurred, look for welded relay contacts or high resistance connection or any cause in the oven temperature sensor circuit
F3Open oven temperature sensor circuit Measure oven temperature sensor circuit at oven temperature sensor (should be approx 1100 ohms at room temp); check for cut or pinched wire or loss of contact

if you have a meter and not a check the ohms you can check both of the oven temperature sensors (probes) but you would need to remove them to check them. They look like this, and they stick into the oven through the back wall and each oven, here is a link to show you how to test them, there is a video there, if these check good you will need to replace the EOC (electronic oven control) thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a reasonable repair to pay somebody (average cost). Is it worthwhile repairing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If it turns out to be one of the probes it's definitely worth repairing, average customer service call is around $79.00- $100.00 plus parts, a good technician would be able to test these fairly easy for you, the probes average around $85.00 for these, so for probably around $200.00 if it's not the EOC would be around what you with expect to pay, I don't know the price of the EOC these can sometimes run anywhere from $200 - $400 so if that was the case it's a little more expensive, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan