Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Disposal is humming and the flywheel is spinning but it is

Disposal is humming and the flywheel is spinning but it is still not turning the grinder. Any thoughts?

Joe
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Unfortunately Joe if the chopper assembly (flywheel) will turn the motor is bad, it is far cheaper to replace the disposer at that point, the windings in the motor have failed, this is not uncommon, your best option is to replace the garbage disposal, I wish it was an easy solution but unfortunately there's not, hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hmm, Thanks Bryan. The motor humms and I can feel it turning where you put in the wrench to free a stuck wheel but the grinder doesn't turn. How can the motor be bad? I'd expect a coupling or something?

Joe
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well the motor is humming but not running does it eventually kickoff and you have to reset it with the little red button on the bottom? Can you get me the model number of this unit I'll take a look but I don't believe there is a coupling on this one, I could be wrong, if the give me the model number I will take a look, these are very difficult to work on also but I'll see what I can do to get you some diagrams, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find the model number for you. It is one of those that squirks bio-degradeable stuff into the grinding chamber when you turn it on, if that helps. I'll see if I can turn the grinding wheel from above manually.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, you didn't mention whether this clicks off and you have to reset it after a few seconds with the little red button on the bottom, does this happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. I was able to correct the issue. Suffice to say there was a communication issue between my wife and I on what actually happened to cause it. Once I removed the little bowl blocking the drain, all was well. Thanks for you help though!

Joe
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem I'm not sure what you mean by little bowl blocking the drain pump sure glad it's running for you, have a great weekend and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.