Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a samsung rb215labp refrigerator and the refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a samsung rb215labp refrigerator and the refrigerator is not cooling it is 55 degrees and the freezer is staying 2 degrees the cooling in the back is running on the coils and the compressor sounds like it is running making a very small humming and vibration coils that the fan is blowing on are alittle warm
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Is the fan inside of the refrigerator running?

Robert :

Open the door and hold the switch for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Listen for the fan in the refrigerator to kick on.

Robert :

Also, pull the meat drawer and the drawer below it out. Look at the wall behind the drawers. Is there an ice build up?

Robert :

Let me what you find on both.

Customer:

holding the switch in the fan kicks on in about 5 seconds

Customer:

there is ice in the botem vents of the refrigerator, there is no ice in the upper vents so it does apear to bge froze up

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Okay. You will need to empty the unit and unplug it. Open the doors and leave it this way for 24-36 hours to allow all ice to melt away.

On other units you can melt the ice with a hair dryer and pull the unit apart. This cannot be done on yours because it has styrofoam that will break if you try to disassemble it frozen.

Let it defrost, clean it up and then plug it in. It should be ready 4 hours after you plug it back in.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what will keep it from freezing up again

i know when ac units freeze up they are low on freon is this possible with this unit or is it just a fluck that it froze up

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

This is usually caused by a small piece of ice falling off of the coils during the defrost cycle. The ice becomes lodged in the drain and collects water every defrost cycle, eventually clogging the unit and freezing over. Defrosting the unit will clear this and the unit will be fine.

It will probably happen again in the future but that could be a long time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you we will give this all a try and sounds like it should work

I apreciate your help hopefully you have saved me a SERVICE CALL

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Not a problem. Have a nice night.