Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Bosch dishwasher SHX46B. Had it for 5+ years with

I have a Bosch dishwasher SHX46B. Had it for 5+ years with no problems. Went away on vacation and came back to find that the door does not latch and when we turn the power on, none of the lights come on. It seems to run (though the cycle took a very long time). Any idea what might be going on?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The first thing you will need to do is to remove the panel on the inside of the door, you need to get after latch assembly from the inside, shut the power off before doing this, the latch assembly is number 3 on this diagram,

there are screws around the inside door panel that need to be removed to get this apart, let me know when you are able to do this, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The screws have a star-shaped hole, and I doubt I have the right tool to get them out. Is disassembly necessary for this diagnosis? I was mainly interested in finding out what could possibly be going on with this, since I didn't think the door locked on this unit. I do have a service contract on it, and will be calling a repairman soon to get it fixed.
I would call for service is you have a contract, the door latch assembly has broken inside the door. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is that the same reason that the lights are not going on?
Yes this has switches in it that control power to the board when you close and lock it switches engage, they call it the actuator, I think she may have slammed the door or couldn't get it to close correctly and forced it but I can't be sure don't blame her it may have just been ready to break, thanks, Bryan