Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE TFX25PPBG refrig. Its several years old. Its

I have a GE TFX25PPBG refrig. It's several years old. It's been running constantly for a couple of days and the refer side isn't getting any colder even with the temp set to the highest. Most of the food on the freezer side is still frozen but the ice cream is softer than usual.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay a couple of things you need to check, first is the fan in the freezer running can you hear it running? Second remove the food in the freezer and tell me if there is any Frost whatsoever on the back panel behind the food, this is very important let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The freezer fan is running and there is a very light layer of frost on the back panel.
Okay this has a defrost problem, essentially what happens is behind that panel the coils freeze up because it's not defrosting, this restricts the airflow to the refrigerator section, when this happens the refrigerator struggles to get down to the temperature it needs to be and therefore the refrigerator will keep running and running and running trying to get the refrigerator section down to the correct temperature, the most common reason for this failure in this refrigerator is the heater assembly,this is located behind that panel and connected to the bottom of the coils, this comes on to defrost the refrigerator every eight hours, it's not coming on and the usual cause is the heater has burned out remove the panel, make sure the refrigerator is unplugged then go to this link and test the heater the way the video shows, let me know if that's the problem if it's not we will go on, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just emptied the freezer and took off the back panel. Haven't taken the heater assembly out yet, but all the coils are covered with ice. So imagine the heater assembly is bad. I'll have to take it off and test it then find the part here in so. cal. Do you agree?
well you test the heater, then you can defrost this with a hair dryer and put it back together, this will run correctly for about two to three weeks before if frosts up again so you could order it on line if needed but then you have to do it all over again. most aplliance parts supply store carry these so if you can get it local its better, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just got back. Found one place that carried the part and bought it. So I'll take the old one off, test it, if for some reason it's not the heater, I'll get back to you. But I think it'll work out fine. Thanks for the quick and acurate response.
You so very welcome, good work! Thanks and best wishes, Bryan