The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Our Kitchen Aid dishwasher, KUDR01TJBL0 will not complete the

Our Kitchen Aid dishwasher, KUDR01TJBL0 will not complete the cycles-it goes through the wash cycle and when it is time to switch to rinse and then dry it stops, make a squeaking sound and quits. I'm not sure how old this is but if it is going to be very expensive to repair it, we probably would be better off to purchase a new one. My husband is handy so perhaps he could fix it if we knew what was wrong.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Looking this up for you now. Please stand by.

The Home Smithy :

Ok there are a few things tht can cause this problem. Unfortunatly none are an inexpensive repair. The parts will run you about $100.00 to replace. That and determining exactly what the problem is will require a good mechanical apptitude and the ability to work from the tech sheet for your model unit.
Please click here to download the tech sheet.
Please click here to order the needed replacement parts.

Customer:

when I clicked on "download the tech sheet: it says, not found

The Home Smithy :

Sorry. Give me a minuet and Ill re-upload it

The Home Smithy :

Please click here

The Home Smithy :

Ok just checked it and it is working.

Customer:

We can't read this off the printer- it is too small but we have this diagram that came with the dishwasher

The Home Smithy :

Your .pdf reader should have a + and - selection at the top. Use the + and it should make the printed page larger.
The tech sheet has a section towards the bottom right that has a diagnostic mode that you can use to cycle through the individual cycles of the unit. You will need to use it to see if the unit works in all cycles. If it does then the control board is the problem and will need to be replaced. If it wont go into a specific cycle then you will have to test that part of the system (e.g; wont activate the pump in the rinse, or wash cycle means the pump motor is probably shot.)

Customer:

If the pump motor was shot would it fill up and wash on t he first cycle because it will go through all the steps until it gets to the last wash cycle then it stops and the lights flash

The Home Smithy :

The flashing lights are a trouble code. You will need to read through the tech sheet to determine what they mean. If the unit works in the wash cycle but stalls out when it goes to the rinse cycle then it is probably a sensor that has failed. The tech sheet had the diagnostic information required to determine which componant has failed.

Customer:

There's a section that says "Error messages" stuck key: If the control detects that a key is stuck in the depressed position, dishwasher operation will be suspended and the control will flash the light for that key until the condition is corrected. If a key without a light is stuck or multiple keys are stuck, the control will flash the light for the rinse only/quick rinse key. Since there's no physical key to unstick, how would you fix it?

The Home Smithy :

You would have to replace the control panel. Part #1 in the parts link I provided earlier.
I dont think that that is your problem though. If it were then the unit would "suspend operations" In other words it would shut down until the panel was replaced.

The Home Smithy :

"If the control detects that a key is stuck in the depressed position, dishwasher operation will be suspended"

Customer:

What's next? Call a repair person?

The Home Smithy :

No you need to run through the diagnostic cycles to see if they all work or not. If all work then the control board (not control panel) is bad. Basicly it would be the same thing as a bad timer if it had a mechanical timer rather than an electronic one.

The Home Smithy :

RAPID ADVANCE SERVICE

FEATURE AND DIAGNOSTICS

CYCLES

Pressing the following option keys in the sequence shown will

either start the Diagnostics Cycle or turn on the Rapid

Advance feature for stepping through customer selectable

cycles:

HI TEMP SCRUB, AIR DRY, HI TEMP SCRUB, AIR DRY

Or

SANI RINSE, AIR DRY, SANI RINSE, AIR DRY

(Note: HI TEMP SCRUB = HI TEMP SCOUR)

(Note: AIR DRY = NO HEAT DRY = ENERGY SAVER DRY)

If the above key sequence is entered after starting a cycle,

the

Rapid Advance feature is turned on, which allows the operator

to manually advance the currently running cycle, interval by

interval, by pressing the Pots&Pans/Heavy or Anti-Bacteria/

Cookware or Start key.

If the above key sequence is entered with the dishwasher in

Standby,

the Diagnostics Cycle is started. The Diagnostics Cycle

can be rapid-advanced, interval by interval, by pressing

the Pots&Pans/Heavy or Anti-Bacteria/Cookware or Start key.

Note: The door must be closed before the Diagnostics cycle

will run. Likewise, the door must be closed after each rapid

advance selection of the P&P/Heavy, A-Bac/Cookware, or

Start key for the control to advance to the next interval of the

Diagnostics or currently running cycle.

Customer:

Ok, we can do that but the "keys" that are on our dishwasher our: Hi-temp/scrub, Sani-rinse, energy saver/dry to they don't correspond to what's on the diagram- do we just push each of these that we show or how does this work?

The Home Smithy :

Ok that information should be in the tech sheet that came with your unit. The information I posted is from the tech sheet that I got from the tech site. There are two or three diffrent versions. Your tech sheet will be specific to your unit.

The Home Smithy :

Yours should be Hi-temp/scrub, energy saver/dry to enter the diagnostics mode

Customer:

The tech sheet we have is what came with the dishwasher and is the identical thing that you gave us. There's an additional sheet but it is the same-just a different language.

Customer:

Our dishwasher only has these three on the control panel: Hi-temp/scrub Sani-rinse/ Energy saver/dry

The Home Smithy :

Press high temp scrub, energy saver dry, high temp scrub, energy saver dry to activate the diagnostics

Customer:

It's sitting on energy saver dry with the light flashing

The Home Smithy :

Standby,

the high temp scrub or Start key.

The Home Smithy :

Push that button and tell me if it is advancing through the individual cycles

Customer:

the heavy cycle key is blinking plus the sensing/soak and wash key is blinking so it is not advancing

The Home Smithy :

ok give me a minuet

Customer:

after we started that cycle, now it turns on the water, then shuts it off, turns it on, then shuts it off.

Customer:

Now it is filling up and is starting the "heavy wash" cycle

The Home Smithy :

Ok it is cycleing through the cycles. Open the door to cancel the cycles for now.

Customer:

Door's open

The Home Smithy :

Ok one minuet please

The Home Smithy :

Is there a cancell button on your unit?

Customer:

yes

The Home Smithy :

Ok please close the door and press it. That should cancell the diagnostics mode.
Please dont take offence but I do not believe that you have the mechanical apptitude to do the required diagnostics. The diagnostics require that you understand the cycle charts in the tech sheet. Maybe your husband will.

Customer:

I think my husband can understand the cycle charts in the tech sheet but we have now been on the computer for at least an hour and I do not want to pay anymore than the $24.00 which I put on a credit card. Can you at least tell us what you think this is so we can decide if it is worth hiring a repair person to come out here or perhaps we should just look for a new dishwasher.

The Home Smithy :

Most likely it is a sensor, or heating element that has failed. If the control board does not recieve the proper signal from the sensors then it will not continue to the next cycle.

The Home Smithy :

the rinse cycle requires a higher temperature than the wash cycle does. If the heating element has failed it will not reach the required temperature to continue. If the sensor is bad it will not send the proper signal even if the heating element is working

Customer:

If it is a sensor, is that something my husband could replace? Is it expensive to hire a repair person to replace it (estimate?) My husband doesn't think its a heating element because it seems to heat up just fine.

The Home Smithy :

The sensor is not an expensive part. To hire a tech to do the work will run you about 80 bucks plus parts. These are pretty good units and I believe that the repair is worth it.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Customer:

Are we talking a heat sensor?

The Home Smithy :

You are most welcome. If your husband has any questions please dont hesitate to post them here. I will be happy to assist you further if needed.

The Home Smithy :

Yes

The Home Smithy :

It is called a Thermistor

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances