Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Dad purchased a new chest freezer in December 2010, 3 months

My Dad purchased a new chest freezer in December 2010, 3 months ago. Within the first two weeks frost started to build up On the back wall then on the side walls. Now it is less than 1/2" thick, starts a couple inches from the top and forms a band 6" tall. Is this normal? If it is normal, the technician he has booked will charge him $100 for an unnecessary visit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Well it's not normal to have frost buildup like that, some Frost will build up on the walls but it shouldn't be 1/2 inch thick and a 6 inch band, it sounds like this is low on Freon, the coils run all through the walls on these and there can be a light frosting on the back in the sides but it should be uniform should cover most of the walls, this however should be more than just a very slight frosting, the one thing you do need to check first before getting a technician out there is to make sure that the seal is sealed all the way around real good, if this is drawing in air this could be of causing the Frost issue, if it's not seated tight this can happen, make sure there's no food near the top holding it open just a bit, that's about all you can do besides calling a technician, if this is low on Freon this problem can happen because there is not enough Freon to go all the way through all the coils so it tends to stay cold in one particular area around the top which essentially means only a few of the coils are getting Freon, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan