Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag top loading washer (MTW5840TW0 - Ser - CW0740606 - Type

Maytag top loading washer (MTW5840TW0 - Ser - CW0740606 - Type 849) will not start agitating - intermitantly. Moved the washer today and it started again.

Does the washer need to be "balanced" to start?

Is the lid switch the next most common possibility?

If the lid switch is bad - How to access?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This is definitely a lid switch problem, you will need to replace the lid switch,let me get you some information on how to access your lid switch, these can be tough to get to, it is located in the control panel but you need to release the control panel a certain way, give me a few minutes and I'll be back with that information for you, thanks, Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay I got the diagrams, you need to replace the clips Mark number 3 on the diagram, do this with a real thin putty knife, just push the putty knife in between the control panel and the top of the machine and pushed the clips in then flip the whole control panel back its hinged and will lean back against the wall, here's the diagram, after you have that control panel leaned back against the wall the switch will be on the left corner in the top of the machine number 8 on this diagram, you will see there is a plastic clip that you squeeze and then lift the switch out of the hole. Do this with the lid up. That way the Rod doesn't get in the way when you try to get the switch out, you can order this switch at, just click the blue link, this will take care your issue, this is very common on these machines, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do i need to replace (buy new #3 clips) or just push them back to flip the panel up and then reuse the original #3 clip?

Is there a #3 clip on both right and left or only 1 on the left?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no the clips will just put it back in money for the panel down and reuse them, sorry I was off-line having enough trouble just came back up hopefully it stays up, you just need to replace that switch, that's all, thanks, Bryan