Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a Hobart D300 Commercial Mixer. Right now it has oil

I have a Hobart D300 Commercial Mixer. Right now it has oil in it. I want to put the correct grease in it which the Hobart Company told me it was XHP 222 or something close to that. My question is how do I go about getting the old oil which has broken down out and put the new grease which is in tubes in. I have taken the top off but I don't see how to go about doing this. I could figure it out because I work on appliances but have never worked on a Hobart Commerical Mixer before. So I would rather pay some than mess something up. Please guide me through step by step. Thanks, DOP

Craig :

The oil is just separated from the grease from age. With the top open, just soak up the oil with paper towels and replace the grease with new. Use a spoon or something to scoop out some grease and wipe it in to the gears. That is all you need to do. Don't go to crazy. Put about the same amount in that is there now, plus a bit. That's really all there is to it.

Craig :

You don't want to over grease it. Use the same amount that you see now. Some has melted and separated but what you see is about what it needs

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't follow you. The top that I took off was just the cover/panel with 1 screw in the center of it. Some oil was laying on top of the transmission cover and I just dried that up with a rag as you said. I was wanting to know how to go about seeing how much oil is in the transmission or planetary gears to see if I am low on oil. Hobart has recommended to change this oil over to grease. I have already bought the grease. Hobart would not give me any information on how to do this. They wanted to send one of their technicians out to change the oil out for me. The reason I am doing this is I get a drop of oil from around the planetary gear now and then. Hobart said it was because my oil had broken down and got too thin. They said if I put the correct grease back into the unit the oil drip would stop. I was trying to find out how to change the oil out and put the 35 ounces of grease in that Hobart told me I would need to change it over. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So my original question was how do I get the old oil which has broken down out and put the new grease in tubes in? Thanks
Here is the diagram to open up the transmission case. This is to access the gear box to add grease. Use the same amount if you change it. I would just see how full it is. It's not supposed to be full. Just well lubed with grease.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, can I just take the large diameter plate off by taking screws, 9, 11, and I think there is another one holding the large diameter first plate down to the housing. WIll this plate lift up and come out after taking those screws out. If so, does this give me access to the inner oil/grease reservoir to dip the oil out or is there a better way to get the oil out. thanks
I don't feel comfortable giving you step by step directions and not being there. The diagram shows the necessary steps if you are so inclined.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, that's why I am willing to pay you, to find out how to get the oil out? What you are telling me somehow just doesn't fit and I am right back at the very first question I asked you and I quote, again, "My question is how do I go about getting the old oil which has broken down out and put the new grease which is in tubes in."
You have to take bearing retainer #12 off then Bearing carrier #18 off. The transmission bearing is housed in the carrier and will not come off easily. It has to be gently pried up. This opnes the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh well, I am going to pay you for your time you took up with me.Thanks for your time.