repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.

Maytag dryer 8 years old electric 3 prong plug. New house 4

Maytag dryer 8 years old electric 3 prong plug. New house 4 prong plug. How do I make the conversion to the dryer? Is an adapter available? How do I replace the cord and where do I get the part?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Good Morning and thanks for using just answer. If the house outlet is a 4-prong box, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a 4-wire dryer cord.. When you get ready to put it on, pull the dryer away from the wall. Remove 3-wire cord. To install 4-wire cord you have 4-wires. Red, Black, White, Green. When you took the old cord off, there are 3-male studs that you are going to install new cord to. The center prong is white wire. Outside on the left will be the black wire, outside on the right will be the red wire. Tighten all 3 down tight. The final green wire is fastened to the dry frame. Find a screw that you can undo on the frame and this is where you will fasten the green wire to. Then you s/b ready to go. Hope this helps and have a good day. Smile P.S. if you don't have a Lowes or Home Depot, go to your local hardware store. Just be sure you are buying a 4-wire DRYER Cord. Thanks.