Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Not cooling properly. Temp controls read 67/3. Got troubleshooting

Customer Question

Not cooling properly. Temp controls read 67/3. Got troubleshooting instructions and did what they suggested but it will not set. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was in December but we were able to re-set. Now the extended warranty has expired (the notice to renew just arrived last week) and we have acquired a new extended but it doesn't take effect until 3/18/11. Could we get some help on line? Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

So the temperature reading on the refrigerator side is reading 67 and the freezer is reading 3 is that what you are saying? When you press the buttons does it not respond at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It will change to 34 and 6 for a second but, then goes back to 67 and 3
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, your motherboard has failed, this controls the touchpad for the temperatures, also this controls everything else in the refrigerator, if it's not cooling correctly this is all relevant the board, GE has redesigned these boards four times in the last two years because of issues with them, you will need to replace your main control board,the part number is XXXXX here is a link to the part, link they use their own warehouse number for this part but it is the original GE board it's a lot cheaper than most places and they get them directly from GE, replace the board this will take care of the issue, the board is located if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall it will be an 8 x 10" panel and the board is right behind the panel, this comes with instructions also, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you by any chance have a ballpark figure on the price of this part? And if we have to get it from an other source that price?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
At most places this runs around hundred and $160.00 the place I sent you is selling it for $121.92 which is a lot cheaper the prices can vary depending a we you go, Sears gets $148.49 repair clinic gets $162.35 so I'm just trying to get you the best price, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your very welcome, best wishes , Bryan