Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have about a 4 year old whirlpool duet dryer and the control

Customer Question

I have about a 4 year old whirlpool duet dryer and the control s come on but when i push the start button, it clicks like it is going to start but never does. Is there a re-set somewhere?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you open the dryer door and get me the full model number? Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GEW9250pwo
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay most likely you have blown the thermal fuse in this,this is located on the blower assembly inside the dryer, you will need to remove the bottom panel under the door and the front and you will see this on top of the blower assembly, make sure your dryer is unplugged before opening this up, here is a link to the part and there is a video there to show you how to test, 90% of the time this is the issue in these, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/2986?modelNumber=GEW9250PW0 just click on that blue link, you can also order it there if you need to, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got the lower panel off but do not see how to take the front off. I removed the 2 screws but it seems like i will break it if i pull very hard.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You don't need to take the whole front panel off it is on the blower assembly towards the front and it's part number 59 on this diagram, it's kind of hard to see you will see the heater on the right side and if you go towards the center a little bit more you will see there is a blower assembly it's on the top of the blower assembly in between that and the drum, a little though to see but it's there, if you don't have a meter you could take the two wires off of it and tape them together making sure they don't touch anything and just try the dryer and see if it starts, make sure you have the dryer unplugged while working on this, when you get the wires taped together plug it in and see if it starts if it does the thermal fuse is bad and you need to replace it, do not run the dryer with this jumped out for more than a few seconds, this is just a test this is a safety fuse you need to replace it before drying any clothes in it, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I unplugged the thermal fuse and tried starting the dryer and it still does not come on. It clicks like it always does before coming on, but does not start. What now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay when you unplugged the thermal fuse did you put the two wires together from the thermal fuse and tape them and then try it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sir i did not. I just made sure they were not touching anything. So, to complete the circut i need to tape them together?

Thank you so much,

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes complete the circuit then plug the dryer back in and try it, sorry I wasn't more specific before, my fault
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I taped them together and the dryer will still not start up. What now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The other thing the can cause this is your door switch,
View Full Image
you would need a voltmeter to check this, if when the door shuts there's no continuity in the switch is bad, other than that you're looking at the control board, you definitely want to check the door switch before going any further on that for sure,