S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I opened the front door of my 90 series gas dryer last week

I opened the front door of my 90 series gas dryer last week and vacuumed out the lint.I believe my dryer has been working,but now it all of a sudden runs, but no heat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. The first thing we need to check is the thermal fuse. Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Customer:

Yes.

S.E.Thomas :

ok, next please get me the model number from inside the dryer door

Customer:

ok

Customer:

its 76902692 76902

S.E.Thomas :

does it have a 110. in front of it? it should appear like this xxx.xxxxxxxx

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

It is a kenmore 90 series

S.E.Thomas :

the series does not mean anything as far as parts or repairs go. i just needed the model number.

S.E.Thomas :

ok, have you removed the lower front panel yet?

Customer:

yes.

S.E.Thomas :

do you see the white blower housing?

Customer:

yes

S.E.Thomas :

just on the top edge of it there is a cycling thermostat and a thermal fuse. you need to remove the two wires from the thermal fuse and check it for continuity. here is what the fuse looks like. [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Customer:

I think I,m there ,but its back in a bit. pulled wires off,but dont see fuse. Should I unscrew it off the housing?

S.E.Thomas :

you need to put your tester leads on the two terminals that you removed the wires from. that white disk is the fuse

S.E.Thomas :

you really do not need to remove it but if it makes it easier for you go ahead

Customer:

ok,but its black

S.E.Thomas :

some of them can be. just make sure you are on the fuse and not the therm ostat

S.E.Thomas :

the thermostat is black\

Customer:

I belive its correct,and I do have continuity

S.E.Thomas :

ok, with the wires in place and if you start the dryer, does the igniter glow?

Customer:

Not sure where the ignitor is?But i had it running with the door open,and I didn't see any glowing.

S.E.Thomas :

the igniter is located just behind the gas valve on the burner tube. do you see the gas valve?

S.E.Thomas :

its just to the left of the blower housing

S.E.Thomas :

im sorry, to the right

S.E.Thomas :

it all goes inside a round metel tube

S.E.Thomas :

you should also hear the valve clicking when the dryer is started

Customer:

I put the wires back,no glowing.I see where the gas comes in and ends,gas valve.

S.E.Thomas :

did you hear the valve click when you started the dryer?

Customer:

I think so,but not 100%

Customer:

Are the burner tube and the blower housing one in the same?

S.E.Thomas :

if it does click then the problem is most likely a bad igniter. you can do one of two things to test this, you can locate the white plug, it has 2 wires to it just next to the gas valve which one end is going to the igniter, unplug this connection and test for power on the two terminals inside the plug. you will need to start the dryer and put your test leads on the two pins in the plug. check for at least 30 seconds

S.E.Thomas :

no the burner tube is the round metal tube that the gas valve is right in front of. the burner comes off the back of the valve and goes inside the tube. the igniter is located inside the tube on the end of the burner. here is a break down of the burner unit and valve.

S.E.Thomas :

this is the valve, burner, and igniter.

S.E.Thomas :

the burner tube is number 46 in this pic

S.E.Thomas :

the valve, burner, and igniter are all found inside this tube

S.E.Thomas :

have you located these parts?

S.E.Thomas :

you can also loosen the one screw holding the igniter and remove the igniter and visually inspect it for a crack or burnt spot. you can usually see a small white spot in the igniter where it has cracked or burnt. you can not touch the black part of the igniter as this will cause it to burn out. it is also very delicate. you must be very careful when removing and installing this part

S.E.Thomas :

this is what the igniter looks like

S.E.Thomas :

you can only touch the white part of this

S.E.Thomas :

have you located this yet?

S.E.Thomas :

as i said earlier, if the valve is clicking then the ingiter is bad.

Customer:

I cheked the two wires on top of gas valve,no voltage in 1minute.I saw another two wire connection in blower housing,I guess that is somethig else?

S.E.Thomas :

not sure what two wires you are looking at. on the gas valve there are 2 coils. each of these have a plug to them. you do not want to test these.

S.E.Thomas :

did you see the picture of the igniter i sent you?

S.E.Thomas :

are you there?

S.E.Thomas :

look at the picture of the igniter. the plug found on the igniter is the plug you are looking for. you want to unplug this and test the side that does not go to the igniter

S.E.Thomas :

this plug should be laying on the base of the dryer just to the left of the gas valve

S.E.Thomas :

are you still there?

Customer:

yI I think I tested on of the two coils, hope I didnt mess something up?I think I got the ignitor,no voltage.I thin k thats probably it.Where do I get part?and is there any special instructions or precautions?

S.E.Thomas :

no you would not have hurt anything. if you tested the plug coming from the valve to the igniter and did not get the voltage then something else is wrong. if you have the voltage then that tells you the igniter is bad. you need to retest for the voltage

Customer:

If I,m looking at the ignitor it appears to have light brown discoloration.

Customer:

ok

S.E.Thomas :

again make sure that you do not test the side that is coming from the igniter

Customer:

I tested the female side.I tested the piece in the front of the blower housing,to the left of the gas valve.

S.E.Thomas :

the whit plug that goes to the igniter correct?

Customer:

I didnt have voltage.

S.E.Thomas :

then we have another problem somewhere.

Customer:

Yes the white connector .

S.E.Thomas :

look at the burner tube that everything goes inside. on the left side of it is a black box with two wires on it. remove these two wires and and check the unit for continuity

S.E.Thomas :

this is an electronic eye. it tells the valve when the igniter is hot

Customer:

I have continuity

S.E.Thomas :

test the other thermostat that is right beside the fuse on the blower housing

Customer:

Dont see it

S.E.Thomas :

then i believe you tested the wrong one.

S.E.Thomas :

the thermostat is easier to see that the fuse. the fuse is to the left of the thermostat

S.E.Thomas :

the fuse should be white and the thermostat is black

Customer:

I see the eye,then I see the ignitor right next it Inside blower housing,then on top right of blower ther is black item which I thi=ought was fuse,but you see tstat,where is the fuse then?

S.E.Thomas :

right beside the black one you are looking at. just to the left of it.

S.E.Thomas :

here is a pic of what you are looking at

S.E.Thomas :

they are numbers 59 and 42

S.E.Thomas :

they are only an inch apart from each other

S.E.Thomas :

im not sure where in America you are but it is 2am here in pittsburg. i need to get up at 6am. is it possible for us to continue tomorrow evening? if you think you can do this in the next ten min i will stick it out for ya.

S.E.Thomas :

did you find it?

Customer:

Yes,sorry,I need to go to bed to.I,m just not seeing the fuse.I see all the wires,and i,ve checked every connector in the vicinity except the to in the front when you open it.

Customer:

Ya,we can call it a night.Sorry,if Iwasnt getting it.

S.E.Thomas :

the fuse is there. it is not easy to see or easy to get to. it is just to the left of the thermostat that you are looking at. it maybe easier for you to remove the front of the dryer and the front drum shroud. if you would like we can attack that tomorrow evening if you are available?

S.E.Thomas :

what time zone are you in?

Customer:

Thats fine,thanks for your help,just frustrated that I can't even see fuse.

S.E.Thomas :

what time zone are you in?

Customer:

Pacific,lets call it a night.

S.E.Thomas :

that sound great but we need to set a time for tomorrow

S.E.Thomas :

i can be here at 9pm est which is 5pm your time?

S.E.Thomas :

any time from 5pm to 8pm your time will work for me

Customer:

HOw about 7:30 Pacific?

S.E.Thomas :

thats 1130 est here. that will work for me.

S.E.Thomas :

just post a reply when your there and i will be here waiting

Customer:

I;ll try to be here at 7 if I can,talk to you tomorrow.

S.E.Thomas :

thank you and have a good nights sleep. we will get it tomorrow

S.E.Thomas :

i am here and ready when you are.

Customer:

hey, how is it going?I had trouble following those exploded views fo the parts.If I had a diagram the same as my dryer I could follow no problem.

S.E.Thomas :

the ones i am sending you are of your dryer unless you gave me the wrong model number

S.E.Thomas :

these are your model exactly

Customer:

ok,mine is gas,and the shutoff behind dryeer is on

S.E.Thomas :

that is fine. gas on or off will not make a difference to the igniter glowing or not. have you l;ocated the fuse yet?

Customer:

I dont see the fuse,and I dont see that you sent me anything.

S.E.Thomas :

all of the pictures i sent you yesterday. did you get them?

S.E.Thomas :

here it is again.

Customer:

yes,I thought you were sending me something else?

S.E.Thomas :

do you see where the fuse is located on the blower housing in the picture?

Customer:

You said 59 and 42,but I cant transalate this to my dryer?

S.E.Thomas :

numbers 59 and 42 in the picture that i sent you

S.E.Thomas :

42 is the thermostat and 59 is the fuse

Customer:

model number 110.76902692 I see gas line coming in to some type of regulator,@connectors on top;follow that in I see the ignitor,2 wires and connector;to the right I see the eye with connector;on top right of blower I see the black tstat

Customer:

This doesnt look like what I,m looking at?

S.E.Thomas :

ok that is the burner assembly. the thermal fuse and the cycling thermostat are not on the section. they are on the blower housing. this is on the bottom left corner. the burner assembly is in the bottom right corner. the blower housing is a white plastic box the the vent tube going out the back of the dryer comes from.

Customer:

so Do I need to take that front cover off?

S.E.Thomas :

if you are unable to locate it then you may have too. as techs we never do. here is what the fuse looks like.

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | WHIRLPOOL Thermal Fuse (disposable, One Time Fuse), part number: AP3133489
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

here is what the thermostat looks like

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | WHIRLPOOL Dryer Cycling Thermostat, L155 - 25, part number: AP3131939
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

the thermostat sits on the top right side of the blower housing and the fuse is just to the left of the thermostat

Customer:

You could never get there with out the cover off,if you could there would no point.I have no continuity between white thermal fuse between poles with dryer off,must be fuse.

Customer:

I have to go to sleep,I,ll replace this part and then I'll pay you if thats cool.

S.E.Thomas :

that is the problem justplease dont forget to retuirn and pay. thank you and

S.E.Thomas :

havent heard back from you. did you get the fuse changed?

Customer:

How is it going?Thanks for your help,that was great!I I was wondering about the little white hose that goes to a box,I believe next to the blower moptor cover?The little plastic cover came off with 2 little plastic parts.The cover looks like a door that opens and closes?Couldnt put it back,is this important?Thanks again for your help!Sorry I was getting the blower housing mixed up with yhe burner housing.Have a good one,Paul.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance