william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

It is still not working but I think it has to do with the control

Customer Question

It is still not working but I think it has to do with the control knob on the front of the door that you use to turn on the dishwasher. When I bought this machine from Home Depot the knob was broken so instead of just replacing the knob they replaced the entire door. When the machine was working and would go from one cycle to another there was a loud noise each time. Most generally any dishwasher I have ever had you could barely hear it when it was operating. I think there is some connection to the door replacement and the inner workings of the diswasher. Maybe the wiring or something along that line. It is like when I am turning the knob to start it is not doing anything.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Is this still under warrenty? Make/model number please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it is not under warranty. I have had it for close to 2 years but did not install it until last summer. I don't have the model and serial number here with me but can bring them tomorrow.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
That will be fine just come back here to this same post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model # XXXXX XXXXX and serial # XXXXX XXXXX Nothing else on the door panel except it is a GE.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
So what your saying is that when you turn this on it dosent work is this correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It starts and goes through all the cycles but there is no water coming into the machine. It was working up until a week ago. The only way I can wash dishes in it is to put the water in myself at the beginning when I start it. According to the manual this is only supposed to be done the first time you start up the washer not every time. It could be the water flo valve but this is a fairly new machine that has only been used about 3 or 4 months. I live alone so I always washed my dishes by hand as I had so few. Now I started using the machine a few months ago but it always made such a noise when it went from one cycle to another. You could hear it all over the house. Nothing else has changed. The water is still connected and flowing, the electric is the same. The only thing I did was I pushed the reset button on the front panel but I don't see what that would have to do with anything. I have a feeling when they replaced the door, they may not have connected the wiring to the machine from the front panel properly and it may have come undone. Is that a possibility?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

It could be but if no water is coming on then you need to check out the water valve selenoid maybe the wires came off of that.Can you unplug the the unit or switch off the breaker and take off the lower front toe kick panel the watervalve selenoid should be in on the left hand corner of the machine. You should see it its where your waterline hooks to thats the watervalve selenoid that im talking about. Make sure the wires are connected it should be a 2-wire harness. If you have a meter that would be great we or you could test the selenoid itself and test the control to see if its sending the proper volts to the selenoid to open up.

Press the accept button this is how im paid for either suggesting or helping you today. Thank-you.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I will take a look at that tonight and see. I will let you know.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Ok just come back to this post. Thanks catch ya this evening. Remember to turn the power off.

Press the accept button this is how im paid for either suggesting or helping you today. Thank-you.You can press the accept now and still ask questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will look at it this weekend. My neighbour has a tester and he said he would check out the wiring.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Ok but he needs to check the selenoid and check the harness thats coming from the control board to the watervalve for volts. He will have to put this into the fill cycle then check it. Does he know how to do all of this? It dosent matter if this is a new machine or not them go out for no reason at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he knows how. He lives in the same place as I do and often helps me out as I am a widow and live by myself.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Ok if he needs any help let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok we tested the wiring on the weekend. There is lots of electricity coming into the washer from the main circuit and there is lots of power going up the wires to the front panel of the door but when we checked the wires going over to the selenoid switch it was hit and miss almost like it had a short in the wiring. The wires seemed to be on tight but if there is not power going to that area how would I replace the wiring. Let me know what you think.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
So what your saying is that there is no power coming from the control to the water selenoid. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The flow of electricity is like hit and miss. If you move the wires around you will get a blip but no steady flow of electricity on the wires that are going into the switch. There is a conjunction box of black plastic that the wires are running into with a small grey box with a long silver tab on it. These look to be on tight but there is no power going to it. How many volts should it be registering anyway. I can recheck it tonight if I know the volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just checked the part I was describing on the diagram that you sent and it is part 490 in the diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rechecked the wiring last night with a different tester and there is power going to the selenoid switch but when we check the switch with the voltage meter there was nothing. No matter what we did it read 00. So does that mean that this switch is toast?