The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Maytag washer LAT5005ABW. When starting the wash the dial is

Maytag washer LAT5005ABW. When starting the wash the dial is set to 12 the machine fills but doesnt aggitate. there are audible clicks ect. The timer advances till 8 on the dial and then begins washing. Once at the rince it empties 2/3 of the dirty water then fills again and goes on to finish the full cycle,rinces spins ect. I took apart thr console and looked at the timer. There is one metal contact tab missing on the top row It may have been made that way?? is the problem the timer the float the pump.. ???

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download a copy of the service manual for your model washer. Go to page 4-1 for the troubleshooting section.
This does sound like a timer issue but I would run through the diagnostics before replaceing the timer just to be sure that that is the problem.

The Home Smithy :

Parts for your unit can be ordered on line from Just enter your model number in the box provided.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.