gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

My samsung fridge has a problem with freezer temperature fluctuating

My samsung fridge has a problem with freezer temperature fluctuating between -5 and -20 and there is difficulty with freezing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.

gst85 :

hi ,is there any ice build up in the freezer wall

Customer:

no

gst85 :

if the temperature is not holding then this tells me that your compressor is not pumping as well as it supposed to .could also be over heating ,you will need to check the condenser fan to make sure it is on

Customer:

How can I chck the condenser fan?

gst85 :

can you pull the fridge from the wall

Customer:

Yes

gst85 :

okay once you do ,you will need to remove the back lower panel ,

Customer:

ok

gst85 :

it has screws holding it

Customer:

i took them off already

gst85 :

can you do it ,or will it take you some time

gst85 :

okay great ,no can you see the fan running

gst85 :

now

Customer:

I see the fan but it is not running

gst85 :

can you hear the compressor humming

Customer:

no

gst85 :

it must be on defrost

Customer:

how do I change that?

gst85 :

you can try to adjust the thermostat

gst85 :

to a higher number

Customer:

I tried that before

Customer:

ok

gst85 :

open the freezer ,tell me if you hear the fan running

Customer:

yes ican

Customer:

no I can hear in the fridge portion not in the freezer

gst85 :

okay ,feel the compressor to see if it is somewhat hot or warm

Customer:

no it is not hot or warm

gst85 :

it feels like it has not been running?

Customer:

exactly

gst85 :

okay it may have gone bad

Customer:

can it be replaced and how much does a new one cost?

gst85 :

yes it can ,a compressor job can be a bit expensive ,it can also be a bad start device ,you may wanna call a few companies ,to get a few a quotes

Customer:

how expensive can it be

gst85 :

a ruff idea ,id say anywhere from100 to 300 .but every company will chagre differently

Customer:

thank you

gst85 :

if i have been helpful to you pressing accept pays me

gst85 :

sure

gst85 :

have a good day

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs