Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My icemaker in my Whirlpool model ET18GMXHW01 type YPEC18FA00

Customer Question

My icemaker in my Whirlpool model ET18GMXHW01 type YPEC18FA00 is dripping water into the ice storge bin. It still make ice just fine and I have replaced the inlet vavle but that wasn't the problem. If I raise the arm to shut off it stops dripping. What do I need to do to fix this problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Are some of your ice that it makes, hollow or broken?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
There is only 2 things that can cause this, one is the water valve on the back, which you changed already and then there is low water pressure coming to the unit from the house,, this is the most common problem, most homes like to use a self piercing valve on their water lines since it is easy to install, however the hole that it makes in you pipe that you connect to makes such a small hole that it tends to clog causing the pressure to drop and make the valve leak... I recommend that you get a valve that you have to drill a hole in the pipe to install it so the pressure will be high enough to keep the valve on the ice maker fill valve from leaking past...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

If you are on a SUPSCRIPTION PLAN for JustAnswers you still need to press the GREEN ACCEPT button, you will not be charged more than you monthly subscription rate you have??

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know if that is how it was connected to my water line. I have to go to a Dr. appointment and will swing by my house after to see if that is the way it was installed. If that is the case then I will accept your answer. Hope this is okay. It will be about an hour before I get back. Thank you!
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
No problem I am here most of the time... Let me know

Chas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the connection of the water supply line from the source water. It is NOT a self piercing valve. It is solder on. Got anything else for me?

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
Are there any kinks in the water line going to the valve on the fridge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No and it's a brand new water line hose.
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
Is there ice build up in the cup the water runs into before it goes into the ice tray?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you pull the water line off the back of the refrigerator where it connects at the top where it goes into the freezer and put it in a bucket them turn the icemaker back on to see if it drips into the bucket? How much water is dripping into the the icemaker? Is the steady drip enough to overfill it to make it drop into the ice auger?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pulled the waterline off the back of frig and no water dripped into the bucket. When it cycled back on to fill icemaker it is almost 3/4 cup of water then shuts off and no dripping from waterline. It is a slow drip that will form a stalagtite type thing. I can send you a picture if you want, to show you where it is leaking.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay the icemaker is bad, you will need to replace it you shouldnt get 3/4 of a cup of water that's too much water going into the icemaker, and if there is no water dripping from the line it's not the valve it's the icemaker, the motor in the icemaker has slowed down so as it cycles it takes too long to get past the water cycle therefore it fills up too much and it will drip down, you need to replace your icemaker unfortunately, give you a little hint, these icemaker's online are around $100.00 at the cheapest you can buy the whole kit at Lowe's for $49.00 I bought one there yesterday exact icemaker, it even comes with a new valve and new water lines it's the whole kit, but really all you would need to replace would be the icemaker out of the kit but it's a good idea to go ahead and change the valve will you got it anyway, icemaker kit number at Lowe's is he ECKMF94, and here is a link to look at it,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_57773-46-ECKMF94_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1093235&UserSearch=eckmf94&Ntt=eckmf94&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151 you can call your local Lowe's and they will tell you they have in stock, most do though, like I said I used one of these yesterday a whirlpool refrigerator, this will save you a ton of money and you get all the parts you need, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.