Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an old Maytag Gas Dryer model DG4000. The motor hums,

I have an old Maytag Gas Dryer model DG4000. The motor hums, but the drum doesn't turn. And...the buzzer buzzes in the off position if the door is closed. When the timer is put in the ON position and the door is closed, the ignitor ignites even when the starter button is not pushed...and like I said...the drum doesn't turn, but the motor is humming. Help! --Mary
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Open the door and try to turn the drum both directions by hand. Can you manually turn the drum or is it siezed one direction or both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When we turn the drum, it turns OK in both directions.

Does the unit continue to hum for 2 or 3 minutes or whatnot as long as the cycle is running, or does it only hum when you press the start button and then it stops when you let go of the button?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When the door is closed and the timer dial is set to a position other than off, it hums, the igniter comes on, then the gas comes on. If I open the door it stops. It does all this without pushing the start button as long as the timer dial is in a position other than off. If the dial is turned to the off position and the door is closed, the buzzer continues to buzz until the door is opened again.

yep, that is definitely a faulty motor. Your centrifigul switch on the motor isn't working properly and it's sending power to components when it shouldn't. Below is a link the motor you'll need to order and replace.