Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag Dryer LDE8000ACL - Empty or very small load dryer starts

Customer Question

Maytag Dryer LDE8000ACL - Empty or very small load: dryer starts up - stops after 5 seconds - will start up again immediately and quits after 5 seconds again. More full load: Dryer may start (begrudgingly) and stop after 5 seconds, or just hums without starting up. Behaves the same for all settings - heat or fluff. Thanks for any help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

After the dryer starts up and runs for 5 seconds, can you restart it right away or does it just humm when you try until you wait a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As stated in the original post - it will restart right away
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok, it sounds like your motor is just cutting out because it's going bad then. There isn't really anything else on this unit that would stop the unit or cause the motor to hum and not run except the motor. If you can start it right up again, that means the drum isn't jamming causing the motor to overheat, so the motor just needs to be replaced. Below is a link to the motor you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Replaced the motor - starts great and turns just fine - but in the process I've lost heat and the timer doesn't advance. The motor seems identical, I double checked the wiring to the motor several times - all seems good. Could this be a problem with my installation? A different problem? Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
it could be installation. The timer won't advance on auto cycle if the dryer isn't heating. It sounds like your two heater wires going to the motor may be connected wrong? I wouldn't be able to tell you how it should be wires without being there unfortunately. usually the two heater wires are thick and red.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took pictures of how it was wired AND the motor is color-coded to make sure the connections are made correctly. Seems to all check out. I will check again to see that I didn't shake anything loose on the heater end. Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
alright, well other than not being installed correctly, you may not have 240 volts going to the dryer or something may have happened to your heater or thermostat for some unknown reason.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure enough - during installation I inadvertantly pulled a wire off the timer - all is fine now. Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
awesome, you have a great day.