The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Hi, We live in a condo and have a 2003 Frigidaire Laundry

Hi, We live in a condo and have a 2003 Frigidaire Laundry Center (front-loading dryer with top-loading washer). While washing a small load in the PERM PRESS cycle, the washer stopped before the rinse cycle and would not drain. Would you please give us an idea of the problem and the possible costs involved if not a simple repair?  Would it be better to purchase a new laundry center?<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />Suzanne
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi, Suzanne. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

The problem is most likely a bad pump or a plugged up coin trap that is not allowing the water to be pumped out.
To determine what has failed you will need the service manual. I do have a copy of it on my home system but not on my laptop. I will post a copy of it as soon as I get back home in about an hour.
Thank you for your patience.

Customer:

Sounds good - I look forward to viewing the service manual.

Customer:

Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok, upload in progress.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the service manual for your unit. Go to page 63 for the troubleshooting section. Im sure that with a little reading and some mechanical apptitude you will not have a problem diagnosing the problem.
If you get stuck please dont hesitate to return here and let me know. I will be happy to assist you further if needed.
Parts for your unit can be ordered on line from http://appliancepartspros.com Just enter the model numbewr in the box provided.

The Home Smithy :

The URL below will bring you right back to this question thread.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4nvwf-hi-live-condo-2003-frigidaire-laundry.html

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer:

The Home Smithy :

Yes, I'm here

Customer:

The Home Smithy :

Good morning =)

Customer:

Hi, I am downloading now and will take a look at it during my lunch.

The Home Smithy :

Ok not as problem. I do go off line about then as I have appontments in the afternoon. I will check back this evening when I return though.

Customer:

Do you think that two mechanical dimwits can figure this out? Or, should we just call in a repair tech?

The Home Smithy :

LOL! A mechanical dimwit wouldnt have the good sence to comer here for help.

The Home Smithy :

With the repair manual in hand and a few basic hand tools there is no reason that you cant doi the repair. If you dont understand anything you can always ask me and I'll walk you through it.

The Home Smithy :

Suzanne, most likely this wiull be a timer issue, plugged drain line or a bad drain pump. All are easy repairs

Customer:

o.k... I will look this over during lunch and get back with you. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok. You are welcome, Suzanne.

Customer:

I looked at the manual, specifically page 79 (washer will not drain); however, it was not crystal clear to me what repair should be done. It sounds like our machine is not dead but needs some repair. Can you give an idea what kind of costs could be incurred by calling in a repair tech?

The Home Smithy :

Looking this up for you now. Please stand by

The Home Smithy :

If it is a pump they run $88.34 plus tax and S&H. If it is a timer they run $102.45 Plus tax and S&H.

The Home Smithy :

Labor to do the repairs will varry depending on where you live and what the repair service charges per hour. You can figure that the repair will take about an hour to do and the average hourly rate is about $85.00.

The Home Smithy :

You can figure that the repair will run you about $200.00

Customer:

Thank you.