Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

Whats the most likely cause of the electronic ignition failing

Customer Question

Whats the most likely cause of the electronic ignition failing to light a whirlpool Gas Hob
Thanks Guy Crossman
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

May I ask if you have a spark and the burner would just not ignite or you do not have a spark in the first place?

If there is no spark, I would ask if is it just on one burner or all the burner does not have a spark?

If all the burner does not have a spark, then I can say it is the spark module or the separte switch if you do have a separate switch to trigger the spark. You would need a multi meter to test the trigger switch.

If only one burner does not have a spark, then it could be the litle pin that is near the burner is the problem. It has a wire at the end and connected to the spark module. You can try switching them with the other burner to see if the problem would transfer.

If in case everyburner is sparking and only one burner is not igniting, then you can try to clean the orifice of that particular burner because the fuel could be not enough to start ignition.