Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Thermador gas stovetop unit with CV2536 blower. The

Customer Question

I have a Thermador gas stovetop unit with CV2536 blower.
The blower and downdraft stopped working. It appears
that it is not getting electrical power. The stovetop elements
are still working. What should I check first?

Read more: Appliance Questions - I have a Thermador stovetop unit with CV2536 blower. The blower - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/3xt6k-thermador-stovetop-unit-cv2536-blower-the-blower.html#ixzz1FKG4pJIA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

On these downdraft vents, usually the up/down switch fails, and that will stop the vent from raising up and down. If you remove the top panel on your down draft vent, you can access the up/down switch. Unplug the entire unit and remove the up down switch. Check the continuity of the switch when you push down on it and if the continuity doesn't change from open to closed, you'll need to order and replace the up/down switch. Below is a link to the part you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The ventilator goes up and down without any problem. However, in the up position, the fan will not come on.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok then you need to check the power to the blower motor and see if it's getting 120 volts to any of the wires. If so, then you need to replace the motor. If not, then you'll need to replace the variable speed switch because it's cutting power to the motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked the power, there is none to the wires leading to the motor. How do you gain access to the variable speed switch?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
You have to lift your downdraft vent up all the way, disconnect power, remove the filter screens and all the screws going up into the top of the vent panel. Then remove the screws going into the right side of the vent where the controls are, pull the knob straight forward and off on the variable speed switch, then you can see 2 screws you need to remove behind the knobs. Once you remove the screws, the control will pull up and out so you can replace it. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just to make sure I understand. The variable speed control is the one that sits on top of the glass top along with the Up and Down switch. It is not close to the vent. Please clarify.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
sorry, I'm not there so I can't say for certain but it's the knob that you turn to change the speed of the blower motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is embedded on the glass top with all the gass elements. I have no clue on how to open the glass top to access this control.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok then you'll need to take the oven apart to get to the part.

Removing the glass isn't something you can do because you need a special thermador burner tool. You'll need to remove all the burner grates and the burner bases. The bases are held in by a hex nut in the middle that requires a special tool. You'll need to call a servicer to replace the part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before I call for service. I noticed there were two toggle switches in the electrical control box that are activated when the vent is fully up. One is to toggle between the up and down botton. The other one I suspect is controlling the feed to the variable speed controller. This is upstream from the speed controller. I don't know which is which. How can I test that they are working first.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
not sure what you are talking about without being there--there shouldn't be a toggle switch to turn the fan on or off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When the fan is working. It will only comes on when the vent is fully up. This is controlled by one of the toggle switch ( I might have used the wrong term). The motor that governs the up-down movement of the vent also drives a circle "plate" that set the switches on and off.