Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I dropped a heavy pan on my stovetop (glass, electric) saw

Customer Question

I dropped a heavy pan on my stovetop (glass, electric) saw a flash of red and now nothing works. The burner light comes on with a buzz, but the elements and the electronic display no longer work. The elctronic display will only show with a burner turned to on. The oven fan will work but not the elements.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that the oven is only getting 120 volts and not 240 volts. Check the power cord or circuit breaker or something. This isn't actually an issue with the appliance believe it or not, it's just not getting 240 volts. Often times, the power cord will short where the power cord connects to the back of the oven.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do you think dropping a heavy pan on the burner caused the power cord to be loosened?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I think it may have jostled the cord which may have already been about ready to short out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you we will check the power cord - what would you suggest as a plan B? Everything looks OK on the back of the stove.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Then check the wires from the power terminal block on the back of your oven and make sure your oven is actually getting 240 volts.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know if you will still get this but wanted to let you know that the power cord was not the problem. When I dropped the pan, it caused the wire that sends power to the burner to contact a metal rod that was sort of retaining the stove insulation. There was a burn mark on that rod and on the wire where it connected to the burner. We removed the rod, it seemed useless, and retested all the connections with a volt meter. Without that rod shorting out the wire anymore the stove now works fine. I was glad to know it was a voltage issue and we didn't have to pay for a repair call, but it helps that my husband used to be an electrician!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
awesome, well I'm glad you got it working again.