Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have 8 year old Maytag electric dryer. Model #MDE6400AYW.

We have 8 year old Maytag electric dryer. Model #MDE6400AYW. For three or more months the push/pull button on the dial switchhas gotten more tricky to get the dryer started. We got a point where you had to turn the dial to find the sweet-spot where when you pushed-in & pulled out the start button the dryer would start.

The dryer drys just fine, before it stops the finish buzzer goes off, the interior light comes on. It is just the dial switch for the timer will no longer start the dryer. Solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is just a faulty timer unfortunately. You'll need to order and replace the timer to correct the issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I paid extra for a detailed answer. $28.00 for an answer or $33. for detailed answer. I would think directions would be provided on how to disassemble and install a new timer. Otherwise I think $33.00 bucks for its a timer is a little over the top.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
All you need to do is ask.

There are 3 screws along the top of the control panel you want to remove. Unplug the washer and fold the control panel forward. Push the timer knob in and there is a plastic pin that comes out the center of the timer near the middle. Use a small flat head screwdriver and pry out on the pin. Hold the pin out and then pull the knob straight forward and off. Now remove the screws going into the timer and remove the timer. From there you can disconnect the timer, install the new ones, and then start to transfer all the wires to the timer one at a time.