Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE top loading washer doesnt agitate or spin. Lid switch

GE top loading washer doesn't agitate or spin. Lid switch works fine. Motor not seized, but the motor hums and heats up and does not turn. Humming stops when lid is opened. Transmission rotates fine in both directions. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using I suspect the motor windings are bad or the wires to the start capacitor may be broken. Follow the wires to the capacitor in the upper RH corner of the front tub area and see if they are broken. They may look good but if gently pulled on may pull loose. Let me know what you find. Also, please post your model number.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where do I find the model number? Also, when I follow the wires, I do not see a capacitor.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, model number on top of timer console. I will take a look at it....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Well, I cannot get the service info to come up for this. There does not appear to be a capacitor for this motor, according to the parts breakdown. I suspect the motor is faulty. Do you have a meter to test for voltage once I can access the service info?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. I have a volt meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I am trying to access service info. However, you can look for 120 VAC to the motor...I suspect it will be there if it hums, but you may find low voltage that could cause the same result. If you CAREFULLY turn the motor while it is humming, will it start with your help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Measured 121 vac from one wire to ground at the motor connector. With humming, tried to rotate manually. Motor turned slowly about 3 times on its own then stopped.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Okay, your motor is faulty. Motor is part number WH49X10035 and is available from for $206.99 + shipping. This comes as a kit and requires some minor wiring modifications. It also comes with good instructions on installation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. We are not comfortable buying a new motor for such an aged unit. But thank you for the help with the diagnosis. I'll buy a new machine tomorrow.