Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I believe i have a JGP389 Ge profile gas cooktop. last night

I believe i have a JGP389 Ge profile gas cooktop. last night during cooking the ignitors started clicking and the ventilation fan came on by itself at the same time. Within a few minutes smoke started coming from the below the knobs. after shutting everything off and opening that area i can see where the leads to one of the knobs were burnt.
About two years ago it cost several hundred dollars to have two of those knob controls replaced. Is it worth trying to repair or spend the 1200 to buy new?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using It sounds like the wiring harness will need to be replaced as well as a switch or other components that may have been damaged. I did look at the cooktop breakdown and find that the wiring harness is no longer available. So, the harness will need to be repaired (if possible) and you will likely have a few hundred dollars into the other parts and labor. If the unit is more than 10 years old, I would look at replacing it. With burning wires and things turning themselves on, it sounds like you may have a pretty good load of trouble with that cooktop.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is about 10 years old. thanks i noticed it takes about 2-3 weeks to get a new cooktop. is there a place to obtain one faster?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Probably not. You could order directly from the manufacturer and maybe save some time, but I always recommend buying locally. There sure are alot of choices, though!