Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Hi I have an LG intello front loader washing machine. The water

Hi I have an LG intello front loader washing machine. The water is not draining, everything else appears to be working. Does anyone have any idea what maybe the problem. Many thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Robert :

hello

Robert :

Does your unit have a drain cleanout access on the lower left hand side of the front panel?

Customer:

hi yes,

Robert :

This is probably clogged up and will need to be cleaned out. I find the best way to clean it out is to lean the washer back about 30-40 degrees and remove the cleanout so that water does not go all over the floor. After you do this, let me know what you find(empty or full).

Customer:

Hi Robert, Unfortunately there is a dryer on top of the machine. So I emptied most of the water out of the bowl, then opened the filter, a lot of water still came out which did have what looked like dirt, slimy stuff in it. The filter though did not have stuff stuck to it.

Robert :

Okay.

Robert :

If it was empty, you will need to replace the pump.

Robert :

The black slimy stuff is the dirt from your last wash load that did not make it out of the machine.

Robert :

That will not clog the pump. Socks, leaves, paper and things like that can and will clog the pump. With the dryer on top, the repair will be even harder.

Robert :

Usually you can lay the washer on its back and access the pump from the hole in the bottom tray.

Customer:

I can get someone to remove the dryer, I just can't lift it by myself. The machine is 8 years old approx now, is it worth fixing or should I think about buying a new one. ?

Robert :

The cost of the repair will be around 150 depending on how much they want for the pump. These units are built with an 11 year timespan in mind. I really don't hold units to this basis because every unit is different. I would probably repair it for now because the cost isn't that bad. This washer could wind up lasting you another 8 years.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help Robert

Robert :

No problem. Have a great night!

Customer:

Few more hours before night hits yet, lol thanks again