Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Have a maytag abb222zdew refrig. The top is warm the bottom

Customer Question

Have a maytag abb222zdew refrig. The top is warm the bottom freezer is fine. The little control door is open in the top and the freezer fan is running. There does not appear to be any air flowing out of the small opening in the refrigerator section. The temp controls are set to 4.
Checked the vents at the bottom under the crisper they are not blocked on the surface.
It feels like the fan is blowing but no air is getting to the top refrigerator.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your fridge..The freezer is what cools the fridge..From what you are describing..It sounds like your damper #13 is not opening all the way..Might possible be closed completely..CLICK HERE

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The motor and the small peg have the door open all the way. I have also gentlely pushed it open. Anyway to check the passage way to the freezer ?
ok good..Then most likely you the vent is frozen from the freezer to the fridge...Easy way to tell is to unplug over night ..Then plug back in..If you are unable to do that...Then you will need to remove the back freezer panel to check..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I take it there are four hex screws that hold the plate in and the fan cover In the part cat the plate is listed as nImage:Whirlpool ABB222ZDEW parts-012.pngumber 4 ) ? Would a probe elp determine where the block is ?
YEs that is correct..Also make sure the fan blade is not just spinning on the fan motor shaft...You can hear the motor ..But the fan blade is not spinning...take a hair dryer...From the freezer..You should be able to feel air flow at the fridge side...This will tell you if there is blockage..Also will melt any ice build up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I used teh exhaust of the shop vac. Did not feel any air. If it is ice could I use a litle hot water to undue the blockage? I am assuimg the water wouldnt hurt the fan and would drain through to the deforst pan.
Best thing to do is unplug if possible...If the duct is frozen it will take more than hot water..It seems to take longer to thaw also..I would unplug..Get the duct warmed up with the hair dryer..Usally with the hair dryer (I use a Heatgun Or a hand held steam cleaner)..The ice will melt rapidly....I would first double check and make sure the damper is open and working...Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OKAY. I liike the steamer idea. I did check the damper, and I could see it working after turning off thepower and turning it on. Unique idea to control temp without running 2n set of coils.
thanks. I did check the fan and blade to make sure they were working. When the refer is on there is a lot of air blowing in the freeezer.
thanks again
Ok then sounds like your fan is ok..You have a blockage some where along the line to the fridge..Thanks Bob