Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our Whirlpool Duet Washers bleach compartment does not empty

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool Duet Washer's bleach compartment does not empty into the white cycle, the bleach remains in the bleach pocket. Why would this happen?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. There is likely an issue with the dispenser assembly and the routing of the water, or perhaps with the water inlet valve. Please post your model number so I know exactly which Duet we are working with.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's a duet HT Model GHW9400PL$ Serial number CST1911597

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

This dispenser is operated by a motor (number 13) that moves to direct the water to the corresponding compartment. Are you sure that it is bleach that is left in there or could it be just water? That is important...

Remove the top, 3 screws along the back come out to allow the top to pull back and off. Once off, let me know.

View Full Image

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I emailed last night about 8:30 pm this information so not sure you received it.

Whirlpool Duet HT model GHW9400PL4 and serial number CST1911597

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
I did receive it and sent you some instructions on accessing the dispenser assembly. Please locate the dispenser and see if the actuator moves when programmed. Also, please clarify what is being left in the dispenser, bleach or water?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pull the entire top of the washer off?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the tops off and I think it's water in the bleach compartment. We see the hose assembly in the diagram above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The actuator went from 1 to 2 in whiitest white cycle
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
If it is water left in the bleach compartment, you likely are getting some leakage through the dispenser system during softener fill or the drainage from the compartment is not as it should be. If you have not done so, remove the entire drawer assembly and clean the top of the dispenser housing with a bristled brush and clean the drawer and all components with hot water. This should take care of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The actuator went from 1 to 4 thru the Whitest white cycle. Where's the dispenser housing top to clean?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
When you pull the drawer out, the top of the inside of the dispenser housing is what you need to clean. Once you pull the drawer out, clean what the drawer was pushed in to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, it's done but didn't find anything to clean out, no debris or residue. Not sure it will cure the problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Okay, now remove the hoses from the rear of the dispenser and be sure they are clear of all mineral deposits and clean as well. If there is a flow restricter in them, be sure to leave them in and in place.