Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

name Kent Harward XXX-XXX-XXXX I have a Hampton bay ceiling

name Kent Harward XXX-XXX-XXXX
I have a Hampton bay ceiling fan - can't tell the model - 52" in blade to center of hole for wire assembly.

The switch assembly fell apart, so that all 4 wires were hanging loose.
No way of finding original connection
I wired it back as Home Depot thought was best -
Purple to "L" Black to "1" - Orange to "2" - Yellow to "3"
3 Positions have no movement - 1 has very slow - Blow down switch up
With direction swith switched
3 Positions have no movement - 1 has very slow - blow up switch down
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Try this connection:

L - Orange
1 - Black
2 - Yellow
3 - Purple
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put the wires originally but nowI can't get them out to change color position

I can't find out how to get the old wires out

Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
The switch has small contacts that are spring tension down. You have to lift the contact to release with a small tip, use a paper clip end.Release the wire and switch them to the config I gave you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Same results as the 1st questions only now the speed has changed to a fast one for the one that works - so it looks like you are just quessing as did the home depot man
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Do you want me to help you fix this or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find a model# XXXXX I'm trying to take the the upper half down Seems a little harder than I thought - sorry for the delay. I'm just not that fast
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry maybe let's not continue. it requires taking off the blades and not sure what it takes after that
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Why are you taking the fan apart? The problem is in the switch in the fan's switch box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What other information do you want?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What information can I help you with for this problem - I see no model # ?
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
A model number is XXXXX what you need. Go to the switch and locate the hot wire coming in to power the switch and the motor. Then connect it to 'L' on the switch. The motor leads will be the colored lines. Connect the incoming hot (probably black) to each color and note the speed it runs. Those will become '1, 2 and 3' on the switch. Then connect the black (incoming hot) to 'L' on the switch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With the color code from Home Depot

L = Purple

1 = Black

2 = Orange

3 = Yellow

results = 1 of 4 pulls on the switch causes the fan to turn (slowly)

Color code from you

L = orange

1 = Black

2 = Yellow

Looking at the 4 wires

black = comes from the plug

orange = from the reverse switch and goes to the capcitor ass on the end by itself

Yellow = comes from theCapcacitor assembly outside of the 3 next to each other

purple = comes from the Capcitor Ass middle of the Cap Ass

the last wire coming from the Cap ass goes back to the plug and it is gray

so the plug has a "black" loose and a gray going to the cap ass

Black is probably the hot wire?

3 = Purple

results + only 1 of the 4 pulls causes the fan to turn a little faster than the 1st set

the switch is aWesting house fan switch 4 wire unit model 77021

Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Black from plug is line 'L' on the switch
Orange, yellow, and purple are the three speeds, through the cap assy.
Gray is the return neutral from motor and goes back to the white incoming neutral wire. If you connect the black to any three of the colors, orange yellow or purple, you should see one of the three speeds. If it does not run on each color wire, it's the cap assembly that is failed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you It Works now!!!!!
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
That's what I've been waiting to hear! Laughing Please press accept form my assistance. Craig
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Could you please press accept for my assistance? I appreciate it, thanks, Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.