Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpood Microwave, over the counter Model GH9185XLB-1,

I have a Whirlpood Microwave, over the counter Model GH9185XLB-1, Serial Number TR P12 10943. For three months it has not been heating as well as it should. Most of the time it seems like we need to double the time to get items heated properly. Today, the microwave quit completely, No light, nothing works. The outlet has power to it, and the ground fault is not tripped. Any suggestions on the cause? Is there a fuse in the microwave? Is there a web site for trouble shooting and some instruction on dis-assemble. Thans for any help yopu can give.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your magnetron may have gone bad and will need to be replaced. That is what would cause the unit to not heat properly. Aside from that, below is a link to a video that will show you how to access and test the fuses in the microwave if you wanted to check them yourself and see which one is faulty.

http://www.appliancerepairlesson.com/2011/02/22/microwave-no-power-repair/

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How many fuses are there is this microwave? Is there anyway to check the magnetron? Another sympton I should add is that on the heating , the touch buttons - some work better than others. If we punch the 5 minute button and stop the oven after three minutes we get much more heating then if we use the 3 minute button, although probably still not as good as it should. The 1 minute and 2 minute don't work well either.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
you can't check the magnetron unfortunately. Setting the unit for 3 minutes and it working better than 1 or 2 or 5 minutes is just completely un-explainable. There are really only 2 fuses which it shows you how to test in the video in the link below.