william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I turned on my dishwasher then opened the door to add something

Customer Question

I turned on my dishwasher then opened the door to add something and now it does nothing. It goes through the timer as if it thinks its working and the CLEAN light lit up.The dishwasher is two years old. What do I look at first?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Does the clean light blink 7 times pause 7 times pause and so on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. The washer goes through all the cycles as if its running but no noise as in water or pumps. WASHING, DRYING, CLEAN
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Ok so no water enters the machine right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No water or noise at all. it just runs through the timer as if it was running.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

See if a indicator lamps illuminate

when START or OPTIONS is

depressed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Everything comes on as though the washer is runnuing except no water or pump or motor noise. Wierd
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

This could be the micro door switches your gonna have to open this up to check them.

It was running before you open it so it stands to reason that its the door switches.

Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

1. Remove outer door panel. Check to see if the litle button isnt still depressed and check everything else out.2. Remove two screws mounting the latch/switch assembly to inner door panel,

and then remove two wires.

3. Reinstall wires to door latch/switch assembly and remount assembly to inner

door panel.

4. Close door to make sure strike catches latch cam to close door switch.

5. If door strike needs to be adjusted, loosen retaining screw in top of tub. This

allows strike to be moved as needed. Tighten retaining screw after

adjustment is made.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is not the door switch because the proper lights come when I shut the door. It thinks its running but it isn't. The washing light comes on, then the drying light comes on then the clean light comes on. Except no water or pump noise.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Well them this dont make any sense then. You will have to test the water valve selenoid with a volt/ohm meter. You will need to test that and test to see if your getting the proper volts coming from the control board to the selenoid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Which means I need a repair man anyway. Where would the solenoid be located so I can test it first.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Take off the lower front access panel and it should be on the left hand corner. If you know how to use that meter you can fix this yourself.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well thanks for the effort. I just took the panel off, wiggled a wire and blam, it works. Go figure. Thanks again
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Cool now what i would do is to make sure that its on there good you know what i mean?