John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Kenmore 110 top-load washer will agitate, but does so for

My Kenmore 110 top-load washer will agitate, but does so for only brief periods of time (about 10 seconds every few minutes. It takes several hours to complete the cycle. Can you help me identify the defective part ?

Joel
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

Does the motor keep going but no agitator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. The motor is intermittent. The coupling appears to be fine since the agitator does spin when the motor is on. It's just that the motor cuts out after 10 seconds. Every few minutes, it starts agitating again. Some electronics part appears to overload or short.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
What s the model number of the washer, did you notice if the motor has a capacitor on the motor its a black part its round with two wires to it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number of the Kenmore washer is 110.92588210

I have replaced the cover and returned the washer to a difficult-access position, so I cannot see the motor at this moment.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Does it do the same thing in the spin cycle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I just advanced the dial into what should be the spin cycle and after a delay, it did spin for about 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So that capacitor is on the motor housing ? Do I access it from underneath the washer and do I need to remove the cover to get to it ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If you can tip the washer back you can if you cant then the cabinet has to come off, I can send you a video on how to remove the cabinet if thats what you have to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I will hit the Accept Answer so you will get paid. I do know how to take the cover off, as I did that to replace the lid switch (wrong repair). Thank you for your help.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Your very welcome If you require more assistance let me know please.

Thanks and God bless.

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir,

This past weekend we communicated about the problem I've been having with my Kenmore Top Load Washer. As you may recall, my problem is that the washer fills and then the agitation cycle begins, but agitation only procedes for about 10 seconds before it stops. It then sits for about 2 minutes before it agitates again for another 10 seconds, followed by stopping again for another 2 minutes. The same problem occurs in the spin cycle. Overall a load of wash takes more than 8 hours to run. At your suggestion, I have replaced the motor start capacitor, but this has not resolved the problem. Do you have any other suggestions for me ?

Joel
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
When this happens id the motor very hot to touch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's tough for me to determine that because I've put the cabinent back on. To test the function, I am currently running a cycle. The washer is full of water. I will skip forward to the spin cycle to empty it and then tip it back to feel the motor. This will take some time.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You can have the washer working without the cabinet on so once its off leave it off to check the motor while in motion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll do that. As I understand it, the spin cycle will not activate unless the lid switch is connected and the lid is closed. Is this correct ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Thats correct so you can bypass the switch just use a lumper wire at the connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've just opened the cabinent and felt the motor. It is rather hot to the touch.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
And how long has it been on .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've been running it for 25 minutes
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If it cuts out like that and the motors hot the problem is the motor it over heats and cuts out on the motor overload.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Is it worth it for me to replace the motor ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

yes its worth replacing and you know how .

The part number is XXXXXX and the price $132.84. At Sears.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you again for your help. I will order the part. Do you have a video link you can direct me to so I can understand how to separate the motor from the drive coupling ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPGs2UMUJc

Heres the video on how to replae that part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. Do I need to hit "Accept Answer" again ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

No you have Accepted a great feed back you can do though.

Thanks and Cod Bless.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'd be happy to do that. As I recall, I got to the feedback section after hitting accept answer. I thought that I did leave feedback the last time, but perhaps that did not send through. Is there another route to get to the feedback section ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
No I don't think so Thats ok just glad to get it fixed up for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well thank you. I won't hesitate to work with you again. Be well.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Thanks you to take care.