Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

on a pleb30t8ccb dual built in oven both ovens bake relays

Customer Question

on a pleb30t8ccb dual built in oven both ovens bake relays drop off so I am only getting one leg of pwr. All ready replaced timer board and the 24v single comes on and then drops within 20 secs just like the old board. The broiler relays are working the way they should its just the bake and both elements are good.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Justin :

You are saying that both upper and lower oven bake elements do not work, but both oven broilers work? During preheat, the bake relays will cycle on and off utilizing the broil relays to get up to temperature more quickly. I am looking at your schematic and both ovens utilize one bake relay per oven and one double line break relay for each oven. What is the part number you installed?

Justin :

I think the part you need is the relay board WITH transformer. That is what is powering your 24 vdc for the relay electromagnets. The part number for that board isNNN-NN-NNNN If you bought and installedNNN-NN-NNNN I think you went for the wrong thing. The transformer/ relay board makes the most sense to me. Also, check all your wiring connectors for any corrosion. If they look ok, go for theNNN-NN-NNNN You're status is showing offline. Since I'm replying to this thread in live chat, I'll change this to Q and A mode. Reply there at your convenience. Thanks my friend. Looking forward to talking with you.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Reply here when you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know what board your talking about with the transform my question is if the broiler relays are staying pwred up wouldn't that mean that that board is ok. The pin 5 which is on the clock or timer bd shows 24volts to the bake relays but then shuts off its almost like there is a common sw or safety sw for both ovens but I can't get the control wiring diagram anywhere. If it is the board with the transform wouldn't the broiler mode be effected
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

The transformer has multiple outputs. If one of the coils has failed in the transformer winding, that would explain it. Electrically speaking, nothing else makes sense. If the broil does work, that means double line breaks are working and the thermal cut out fuses are intact. So the only other thing in common with both bake relays would be that transformer, L1 and L2. We know L1 and L2 is there because broil works. Here is a link to your schematic.

http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodinfo_pdf/Lassomption/318046110.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I agree with you this is a pain. Did you get the part about how the signal is sent to the bake relays but then drops off?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I got that. Since the 24v comes from the transformer, if it's lost... that should be proof the transformer is the issue. Coils are known to even test ok w/ resistance tests but fail under load.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so the coil is feeding out two different pwr lines and one is working(the broil) and the other is dropping off (the bake)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a wiring diagram for the 24v control pwr
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

There is no diagram for the transformer (24 volt circuit) An onboard transformer can power multiple relays. 2, 4, 7, 452 It depends on the windings, and dopes and outputs.

Edited by Justin on 2/25/2011 at 2:24 AM EST
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
I'm 99% sure that's the part you'll need my friend.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you have been a real help thanks much. If this isn't whats wrong I am totally out of ideas. do you know away to test the pwr supply?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Not really because appliance manufacturers unfortunately do not list schematics to the component level. This has been a major gripe of mine over the years as an appliance tech. In my opinion, it's a conspiracy so people have to buy expensive boards. I hate it. I'm a consumer and I'm from the old school. Fix and save what you can. Throw away society. The best advice I can give you is test the relay. If you drop the 24 volt signal for more than 30 seconds in preheat and it never returns, that sounds like a coil failure. This happens in gas dryers all the time with the gas coils. They can test fine, then open up under load. All it takes is a small defect in the winding. The wires are as thin as a human hair and even thinner. Under load, a defect can be catastrophic. PLEASE let me know if that solves your problem. It's the only thing which makes sense to me with your condition. Thanks for the question. I appreciate your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just thought I would let you know I ordered the bd I'm suppose to get it monday. 152 +tax thats less then the timer bd anyway. again thanks
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know if it fixes it. Nothing else makes sense to me. Of course I'm not there to physically test it, but I'm pretty sure you're going to be good to go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sure will if you don't mind telling how would you test it if you had it in frt of you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Update I put in the new board and now have the upper oven working I am guessing now I have to replace the lower one. THis leads me to believe that both bake relays somehow went bad