Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Model Maytag Centennial ecoserve I cant seem to do consectutive

Model: Maytag Centennial ecoserve
I can't seem to do consectutive loads. My 1st load of laundry runs fine & then it seems to get "stuck" in the wash cycle forever on the 2nd load
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.

Justin :

That's a strange condition. So it just keeps washing and washing and washing? What is the model and serial number. There is a tag, on the frame under the lid at the rear of the opening.

Customer:

Well after 3 hours of screwing around with my 2nd load of laundry, I unplugged it and re-started my 2nd load Right now the lid is locked and it seems to be running. But it does this to me every day.

Justin :

I see. Any problems at the end of the cycle with draining or spinning, or anything else otherwise?

Customer:

the 1st load runs fine, but the 2nd load gets stuck in "wash cycle" & I can't get it to do anything until I unplug it and start over

Justin :

I understand. What's the model and serial number please?

Customer:

draining & spinning (all cycles) work on the 1st load. I don't know the serial number & I'm not stopping it while its working. This machine is only 2 weeks old

Customer:

I bought it at Lowes in LaVale, MD

Customer:

Maytag Centennial ecoconserve

Justin :

Ok, one thing you'd want to check for sure is to ensure your wall outlet is properly grounded and polarized correctly. That's crucial on these newer appliances due to DC circuits. If you find that to be correct, I'm leaning heavily toward a machine control board processor issue. All the timing and sensing is taken care of in this control board. Lucky for you, you're under warranty. I think you should have an authorized Maytag servicer out once you verify the polarity of your wall circuit.

Justin :

That's what you own, yes... but that's not the model or serial number. Do you still have the registration card? It will be printed on that.

Customer:

I sent the registration card in on 2/14/11 the day after we bought it

Justin :

Good! You can also do that online for future reference. Do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

my husband will check it

Justin :

Ok, using your probes. Place one probe in the smaller of the vertical holes, the other probe in the round hole and set the meter to AC volts. Should read 120 volts. Then I want you to place one probe in the larger slit and one in the round hole. Should read around 0 volts.

Customer:

ok he's doing that

Justin :

If you read anything other than that, you have a polarity issue and that must be resolved. If the polarity is correct, I want you to go here http://www.maytag.com/support/service_parts.jsp and set up service. It'll be free since it's under one year. I really think you need a machine control board UNLESS you have reverse polarity.

Justin :

Good washer you have though. With a model number I could really research this further, but it's under warranty so either way, it'll be covered as long as it isn't an installation related issue.

Justin :

With mass production, a few bad boards slip through. As you said, it works the first load. The HI POT tester they use at the factory probably tested that board as good.

Customer:

it said 110 volts so I guess I'll have to get a maytag guy to come

Customer:

Thank you.

Justin :

When you pull the plug, this resets the board, like a reboot essentially.

Justin :

It does sound like a processor problem. Anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

Ok thank you. Have a great evening.