Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Refrigerator is making a loud clunking sound when compressor

Refrigerator is making a loud clunking sound when compressor turns on and off. Any ideas what this may be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

The motor inside a compressor is mounted on springs to reduce the noise/vibration, a alot like motor mounts on a car. Those springs or at least one of them has become weak and the torque of the compressor motor stopping and starting is leaning over just enough to hit the metal case of the compressor. There is no other way to repair the noise than replace the compressor.

This will not affect the way a compressor cools and circulates as its not a broken part that is affecting the compressing capacity of the part.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could I wedge a little pad or something in there between the casing to reduce the noise?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
You can try leaning the compressor one way or the other just a little, you cannot lean them a lot because of the oil inside. There are also some rubber pads between the frame of the refrigerator and the compressor. You could check those but from your description I am sure its the springs.

The compressor is the black ball looking thing in the back behind that panel at the bottom. All the moving parts are internal. Thats where the motor and springs are. Its all internal. If you lean it a little one way or the other it may put more weight on some of the better springs, I have never been able to get that to work for long.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, hey thanks alot I appreciate your time, I guess ill just live with it for now as long as its not hurting anything.