Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Admiral dryer AED4475TQ1 will not start or even hum. Have

Customer Question

Admiral dryer AED4475TQ1 will not start or even hum. Have checked continuity on the start button, door switch, cycling thermostat, and thermo fuse. I check the 220 & there is power to the outlet. Have hand spun the drum/motor and it turns freely. One time I held the start button down and turned the timer dial and got it start & run for a while. After shutting it off, I have not been able to repeat the action or get it to run. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
Is the timer sending power to the start switch ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't know. How can we test?
Take the wire off the switch that comes from the timer and test it to ground for 120 volts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what would be a useful ground in this case?
The back of the dryer will work fine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I will have to test it. This will take an hour sense I am not home at the moment. How do I connect back to you?
Just come back to this post. If the timer is not sending power the timer is the problem and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I tested the timer and it does have power. I also rechecked the switches.</p><p>What else can I check</p><p> I have been waiting for over 7 hours for a response.  Is anyone there?</p>
If the start switch is getting power check the connections at the motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What wires do I check on the motor?

The wire that runs from the start switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have power running down to the motor but it still will not start. So if I have power and everything checks out, then my suspiscion is that my motor is no good? Any other things I should check?
If the motor is getting power then yes it is bad and needs to be replaced.

Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Thank You very much.
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom. I replaced the motor and the dryer still won't turn on. If I wiggle the timer and hold the start button, then it tries to turn over.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. When I hold the start button down and wiggle the timer sometimes it wants to start.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thank you again.
You are welcome.