Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

my kenmore refrigerator (side by side) is missing its model

Customer Question

my kenmore refrigerator (side by side) is missing its model number. it's no where to be found. How do I find out what my model number is??? I've looked everywhere on the fridge (front, back, under toe kick, inside)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

Justin :

How old is this product? Usually model tags are inside the fresh food section (right) on the liner. Check the right wall, left wall and ceiling of the fresh food liner inside.

Justin :

If you cannot find it, and you are the original owner, and you registered your product.... You can call Sears at 1-800-4MY-HOME to see if they can research it. They'll require your name and home phone number probably to check for registration. This is one of the reasons it's critical to register. Also, sometimes people write their model and serial number in the manual. Some people even do the wrong thing and peel their model tag off and stick it in the manual. Other people who are not bright throw the tag away.

Justin :

If you can't get any of those options to work, you're out of luck completely because it's nowhere else.

Customer :

we got the fridge with the house and are not the orginal owners. i've looked everywhere for the model number about 9 times. only numbers I can find are the ones I mentioned on a paper sticker on the back.

Justin :

If the unit is fairly old, check below the fresh food door on the frame

Justin :

Hang on a second.. that 11531953EA looks like a maytag serial number

Justin :

Most maytag built Kenmore refrigerators start with a prefix 596 for a model

Customer :

i don't see model number on the frame.

Customer :

the people who owned this house before us weren't too bright and we find amazing stuff. i can't believe the tore of the model number but they prob did.

Justin :

The T number and P number you provided don't help. I can believe it. Being an appliance servicer, I see people do all kinds of dumb stuff. Did they leave the manual behind?

Justin :

Look again up at the ceiling of the fresh food section close to the front of the appliance.

Justin :

Sometimes a tag is up there tight to the front

Justin :

If that 11531953EA number you provided is a serial number (which it does look like) it's a Maytag built January 2004

Customer :

would maytag have built a frdige that says kenmore on the door?

Justin :

You can call that number I provided and ask them if they can search model number by serial number alone. Yes, Kenmore products are all built by the major manufacturers. Sears makes nothing

Customer :

ok, i guess i call that number.

Justin :

The prefix in the model tells you who made it. 106. for example is Whirlpool built refrigeration. 363. is GE built refrigeration.

Customer :

what is the model number for kenmore?

Justin :

Start there.. if they can't help you, you're probably out of luck unless you can get your realtor to get you in touch w/ the previous owner so you can get their old phone number and name. They may be able to search your serial for that model though.

Customer :

i mean, what prefix is for kenmore?

Justin :

106 is Kenmore ref. built by whirlpool, 253 is kenmore built by frigidaire, 596 is kenmore built by maytag

Justin :

363 built by GE

Justin :

The kenmore model prefix tells you what manufacturer built it

Justin :

In other words, Kenmore makes nothing. It's only a label. The number for Sears is 1 800 4 MY HOME

Customer :

i think the 53462 number in the numbers i found is close to the model number. when i called sears, they found a10644253400 which was very close to mine but not exact.

Justin :

Ah

Customer :

do you have the phone number in digits instead of letters. i don't have an "old fashion phone"

Justin :

A 106 Kenmore is built by Whirlpool. 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Justin :

I feel for you my friend

Justin :

Is there a problem w/ the unit or are you just looking for help finding that info?

Justin :

Hang tight once.

Customer :

there are three parts I need replaced.

Justin :

which parts?

Justin :

If it is a 106 built, that's good news.. because Whirlpool usually puts the part numbers on most of their parts

Customer :

a crisper drawer, the water tray for the water dispenser, and a drawer frame.

Customer :

it isn't necessarily a 106. it's just that the sears lady found a 106 that was close but not exact in part replication.

Customer :

i looked at the parts for part numbers already and they are not stamped on them.

Justin :

I typed in 106.534* which searches for anything listed w/ those first three digits on Sears site and no models pull up. I understand. The EA number you provided looks exactly like a Maytag number. If no numbers are on the parts, it's not a 106. I'll switch this to Q and A mode. Call that number and then check your email and reply to me.

Justin :

Hey

Justin :

You sure that P isn't a 2

Customer :

i'm sure.

Justin :

Ok, that combo doesn't work either. I'm trying to help :(

Customer :

ok, i'll call that number. these previous owners have cost me two hours of searching.

Customer :

if i find the model number through sears, i will stay pay you.

Justin :

Call that number, check your email.. there will be a response from Just Answer where you can contact me again. I want to know what you find. They might offer to transfer your call or offer you another number to try to call.

Justin :

LOL to the previous owners

Justin :

As I've said, you may still be able to get ahold of your realtor to get some info.. old land line phone number and first and last names so you can have that info as well.

Justin :

I'll switch to Q and A.. check your email after you make that call and let me know what they said.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, reply here then. I wish I could help you more, but I'm trying.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i called the Sears phone number and they couldn't back drive from serial number to model number. I called the former owner of the home to see if he can find the owners manual. Haven't heard from him yet.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok. If no luck with him, I'm out of options for you. That's unfortunate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have't found the model number but thank you for your help.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. I'm so sorry, but I've run out of ideas. If you do have the previous owners name and home phone, and they registered, you should be able to get that info.

Edited by Justin on 2/23/2011 at 11:54 PM EST