Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I have a Model ED27DQXDW02 manufacture date 01/97. Can I hook

I have a Model ED27DQXDW02 manufacture date 01/97. Can I hook a reverse osmosis system to it using plastic water supply tubing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.

Justin :

You can do that, it is feasible, but I recommend against it.

Customer:

Why

Justin :

It reduces water pressure too much and can cause ice making issues. Worse, due to the decrease in pressure, it can cause the water valves to remain open and cause a flood. Minimum acceptable water pressure is usually 25 PSI on those valves and reverse osmosis usually drops pressure below that.

Justin :

A quick test I recommend is to fill a measuring glass for FIVE seconds. Check for at least 3 ounces of water. If you're below that, you'll have issues.

Customer:

If I could increase the pressure would that solve the problem, and is there a galvanic action?

Justin :

I have no clue what galvanic action means, but if the pressure exceeds 25 PSI, after osmosis, you'd be fine.

Justin :

I do have customers who use reverse osmosis with no problem except very low water pressure. Usually I'm there on a damaged ice maker.

Justin :

It's usually caused because of the low water pressure forming small cubes and it creates jamming during harvest.. This destroys ice makers.

Justin :

As I said: You can do it, but I generally recommend against it due to flood possibilities and ice making jams. There is no electrolysis issues to answer your galvanic question. The inside of the valves are plastic and so is the tubing.

Customer:

I'm sorry, what was the test for water pressure?

Justin :

The ice maker mold is layered with a protective coating.... Measuring glass, depress the paddle Five full seconds. If you're under 3 ounces, that's no good.

Justin :

That's a quick easy visual test

Justin :

If you drink a lot of water from the refrigerator, your reverse osmosis may have a hard time keeping up as well. That's another draw back.

Justin :

You can expect a 15 to 20 PSI drop post osmosis

Customer:

Right now it is about 4 oz in 5 seconds that is with the inline filter only

Justin :

Ok, that's perfect

Justin :

You might get away with it.. You can always try

Justin :

Usually people who use it have wells with run off concerns

Justin :

Many of those people only have their pumps set at 40 PSI which then drops the pressure after osmosis too low. Just trying to help. As long as you're over 3 oz in five seconds after osmosis, you should be ok.

Customer:

Thank you

Justin :

You're quite welcome