william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

I own a Maytag Washing Machine which is approx. 15 years old.

I own a Maytag Washing Machine which is approx. 15 years old. I have never found a lint filer on it and it drives me crazy because it leaves lint on the clothes. Does it have a lint filter and if not how can I combat this problem, apart from buying a new machine. The machine works perfectly apart from this problem. Model LAT5006AGE.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Yes it does and its under the agitator you will need to pull the agitator up and out and clean the filter.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

This is what it looks like.

Main Product View

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried to pull the agitator out but it won't come out. The softner dispenser comes out and another small plastic piece but the agitator will not pull out.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Remove all of that is on top of that and there should be a bolt take the bolt out then you can take the agitator out. I might be able to get you a diagram hang on.

Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

The screw is on the lower side of the agitator. See where number 28 and 30 is at the bottom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I found the filters and they don't seem too bad. Could there be another reason for the machine leaving lint and fluff all over the clothes?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Yes this could be caused by to much detergent and fabric softner and also if you dry your clothes online

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't use fabric softner and only a cupful of persil. If is more like fluff off other clothes from the previous wash.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Do you line dry at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes most of the time
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Ok thats where your getting all that lint. Think about it for a minute when you use your dryer look how many times you have to clean the lint filter. The dryer take the lint out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all your help