william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I own a Maytag Washing Machine which is approx. 15 years old.

I own a Maytag Washing Machine which is approx. 15 years old. I have never found a lint filer on it and it drives me crazy because it leaves lint on the clothes. Does it have a lint filter and if not how can I combat this problem, apart from buying a new machine. The machine works perfectly apart from this problem. Model LAT5006AGE.

Yes it does and its under the agitator you will need to pull the agitator up and out and clean the filter.

This is what it looks like.

Main Product View

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried to pull the agitator out but it won't come out. The softner dispenser comes out and another small plastic piece but the agitator will not pull out.

Remove all of that is on top of that and there should be a bolt take the bolt out then you can take the agitator out. I might be able to get you a diagram hang on.

The screw is on the lower side of the agitator. See where number 28 and 30 is at the bottom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I found the filters and they don't seem too bad. Could there be another reason for the machine leaving lint and fluff all over the clothes?

Yes this could be caused by to much detergent and fabric softner and also if you dry your clothes online

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't use fabric softner and only a cupful of persil. If is more like fluff off other clothes from the previous wash.

Do you line dry at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes most of the time

Ok thats where your getting all that lint. Think about it for a minute when you use your dryer look how many times you have to clean the lint filter. The dryer take the lint out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all your help