william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

Re GE DLLSR40EGOWW. Dryer takes forever to dry clothes.

Customer Question

Re: GE DLLSR40EGOWW. Dryer takes forever to dry clothes. Seems to have full air flow at outside vent cover. Clamp on ampmeter shows about 20 A for the first minute or two after turning the dryer ON, then falls to zero. I am suspecting a hi temp thermostat is opening heating element circuit prematurely, but do not know how to get into dryer and look for thermostats.

I am a competent electrical trouble shooter, but need to know if this is something I should call service people to repair.

stan Goodman
Submitted: 5 years ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Take the vent hose off the back of the dryer and run a load of clothes if it dries ok then you know you have a venting issue.

Press the accept button this is how im paid for either suggesting or helping you today. Thank-you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ran empty dryer into a vacuum cleaner bag so lint didn't spread into house, As before, ammeter went to 20 amps then dropped. Bag didn't feel all that hot. Temp inside dryer was about 147 degrees. There was a fair amount of lint on the floor behind the dryer although duct had been fastened tightly to outlet.

Is there a limit for duct length and elbows in dryer vent?