Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

GE REFRIGERATOR MODEL GSL25JFTE BS- WATER DISPENSER NOT WORKING,

Customer Question

GE REFRIGERATOR MODEL GSL25JFTE BS- WATER DISPENSER NOT WORKING, NO PROBLEM WITH ICE MAKER
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Remove the kickplate in the front and seperate the line behind there at the connector.
Get a towel. Tap the dispenser for water. Does water come out where you seperated the line?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is kickplate?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
The plastic piece under the doors in the front. That part pulls off.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

pulled it, whats next?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do i need to turn off the water from the wall?

do you have skype?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
No we are not allowed to communicate outside of the site, I am sorry.

The water will only drip for a minute until you tap the dispenser. Hopefully it will squirt out as you tap. You want to leave the water on...

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tube separated, no water coming
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. You can put that back together now.

Pull out the vegetable drawers, behind the drawers will be either a water tank or a bunch of coiled up tubing. Bend the lines around a little in there. Can you hear cracking like there is ice inside?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no cracking
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX unit. There are wires coming out of the freezer door down there behind the kick plate. They lead to a connector. This connector very often corrodes, seperate that connector and clean it up really well. Plug the unit back in and see if you get water then.

I am sending the accept button in case I am correct,,do not click it if I am incorrect. Just let me know and we will continue to the next step. In the next step you will need a test light or a volt meter. Do you have one of those?

Barry

Edited by Barry G on 2/20/2011 at 6:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do not have test light or volt meter. no wires coming out of the freezer door, only tubes and connector coming out.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok the diagram does not show anything electrical. Or its location. I had to guess. It will be under the top hinge cover but those are not too bad to corrode. Check it though and make sure its not loose. If its not you will need to replace the water inlet valve.

The part number WR57X10032. That is a factory number you can shop anywhere with. One place that has it online is LOCATED HERE. There is a picture to look at there if you need to look.

The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i don't think my problem will be solved online, i may have to call technician , thanks for trying.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
.